Print Story How often do you think of death?
By gzt (Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 03:09:45 PM EST) (all tags)
It's another day, so you get another diary. Computers destroy my productivity. It's scandalous. More beneath the fold.

So, how often?

I went home after lunch this afternoon to do work and return at around 6 for a problem session. I didn't get any work done at home, but I did take a nap and prepared the points to go over from previous HW in the problem session, then I left. Then I realized, when nobody showed up, that the problem session is on Tuesday nights. Oh, snap! I lost over an hour there. So I ate dinner and went home.

Since I've gotten home, I haven't done a bit of work. It's now 9:30, that's nearly 3 hours of nothing. I'm tired. What's your excuse? I only have two problem sets to finish.

How often do you think about death? It comes up for me at least every day, usually several times. Apparently Erdos thought about it a lot, too.

There's a big spider in the corner. I don't recall any flies or other insects living in this room, so I may as well kill it. The question: how? Swatting it is so cliche and the spider is in an awkward place between a bookshelf and the corner. I may as well just leave it alone, lacking any better ideas.

I still haven't taken the remains of my destroyed table out. Hmm.

And I didn't sing in the shower today. But I did sleep in. I didn't have anything till 11:30, so it seemed like the natural thing to do. It felt good. I needed the break.

I am Ferapont. And yesterday, a friend of mine said I had caught a disease that would slowly kill me: antisociality. He has watched it slowly eat me over the past 4 years. He may have a point. It will be the end of me.

< ATTENTION KINDLY HTML DESIGNING INFIDELS | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
How often do you think of death? | 32 comments (32 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Stupid spider tricks by lm (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 03:21:23 PM EST
Spiders in hard to swat situations can be easily taken care of with the aid of an aerosol can and a pack of matches.

Cicero, The Republic
what about spiderman? by martingale (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 05:36:21 PM EST
You insensitive clod!
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Spider-Man (don't forget the -) is not a spider by lm (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 11:33:19 PM EST
He is a Spider-Man, you insensitive clod!

Cicero, The Republic
They are also excellent target practise by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Apr 12, 2005 at 12:59:39 AM EST
For blow darts, cross bows and shotguns.

Shotguns are for outdoors by lm (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Apr 12, 2005 at 11:30:05 AM EST
Ever hear a shotgun go off inside? Tis pretty fucking loud. I know this from personal experience.

Cicero, The Republic
not a shotgun by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #30 Tue Apr 12, 2005 at 12:58:01 PM EST
but tried standing slightly to close to a garand m1 going of (blanks) inside a concrete parking-facility...

it's not something you wanna do every day...
-- The revolution will not be televised.

Earplugs? by lm (2.00 / 0) #31 Tue Apr 12, 2005 at 04:08:17 PM EST
That sounds literally deafening without protective gear.

Cicero, The Republic
at least by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Apr 20, 2005 at 01:14:42 AM EST
temporarily for those too close.

This was during my army-stint. Some of us used earplugs or similar, but most of us didn't.

I did my service in a military band and it was the "silent" drillteam that took care of the shooting. We only played music and did the formations. Playing music and earplugs don't go together that well for all instruments. Me being at the last row and doing commands kinda ruled out any possibility of plugs and any need for such... until they decided to unload a rifle during training
-- The revolution will not be televised.

i never think about death. by rmg (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 03:30:42 PM EST
i think a lot more about wasting time alive than death per se.

why do you think about death so much there, gzt?

[t]rolling retards conversation, period.

death by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 03:54:50 PM EST
there's not much to think about, imo anyway.

i would say i feel about it, more than i think about it.

death by martingale (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 05:38:05 PM EST
I believe the last time I actually thought about death was when I was 7 years old, could have been 9. I've never thought about death since, I solved all my issues with it then.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
issues? by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 07:56:11 PM EST
Only people with issues about death are reminded of it?

issues by martingale (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 08:08:42 PM EST
There's no need to think about solved problems. You asked if I think about death (presumably what it means, how do deal with it, whatever). I said I don't. I shrug and move to practical issues that need thinking about and acting on.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
So you only ever think about problems? by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Apr 12, 2005 at 01:03:47 AM EST
Have you no soul?

who cares? by martingale (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Apr 12, 2005 at 02:50:55 AM EST
You can have my soul if you like.

Thinking about death is as meaningless as thinking about what comes after 'Z' in the Latin alphabet. Perhaps if you are messrs ASCII, EBCDIC and Unicode, but that would be a professional interest, not unlike being an undertaker.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$

It was your presumption I questioned by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Apr 12, 2005 at 03:15:20 AM EST
You characterised death as a problem immediately. And a problem that you had dealt with and solved. Our life as humans is not simply one problem after another to solve until we die.

true by martingale (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Apr 12, 2005 at 03:25:48 AM EST
Sometimes we sleep.

The point of dealing with death is that one can realize that its existence is irrelevant to conducting one's life. If that is done, any other entertainment value it has is moot.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$

There you go again by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Apr 12, 2005 at 03:54:13 AM EST
Dealing with death. Entertainment value is not moot. What point is modern human life without entertainment value?

entertainment is in the beholder by martingale (2.00 / 0) #29 Tue Apr 12, 2005 at 11:55:03 AM EST
What's fun for one is, like, groan, for another.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Clarify the question... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 06:57:13 PM EST
My own death? Or the deaths of others?

If it's my own, perhaps once or twice a month.

If it's the deaths of others, almost every day.

Thank you for educating me about Black Cock. Can I have my pants back? -LilFlightTest

Well, lemme see by Phage (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 08:05:21 PM EST
Your day appeared to be as follows,
  1. Sleep in
  2. Turn up for work at 11:30
  3. Lunch
  4. Return home
  5. Nap
  6. Go back to work, but there's no one there.
  7. Dinner
  8. Return home
  9. 3 hours of nothing, followed by posting on teh intarweb.
Says it all really.

you forgot by martingale (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 08:16:15 PM EST
He thought about death. That's gotta count for something, dunnit?
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Possibly by Phage (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 08:21:56 PM EST
But then it is very dark in your parents basement. Enough to make anyone a little morbid.

my parents' basement? by martingale (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 08:33:03 PM EST
It's where all the cool kids are buried.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Oh, the dreams of youth by Phage (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 08:40:29 PM EST
How I longed to call down fire on the 1st XV.

there's your problem right there by martingale (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 08:50:56 PM EST
You should have used google.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
If it makes you feel any better.... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 08:32:06 PM EST
...it's 3 am and I'm still up working.

Much better thanks by Phage (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Apr 11, 2005 at 08:34:15 PM EST
The wages of sloth are....something...something.

I know! I know!! by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue Apr 12, 2005 at 01:02:57 AM EST
The wages of sloth are actually very good, thxvmuch.

Once or twice a week. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Apr 12, 2005 at 01:25:22 AM EST

Sometimes more, sometimes less.

And antisociality is the cure for humanity; I wouldn't sweat it.

All the time when I'm playing Quake. by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Apr 12, 2005 at 01:47:09 AM EST

Practically never? by spiralx (4.00 / 1) #23 Tue Apr 12, 2005 at 02:15:34 AM EST
Can't really think of any time I've seriously sat there and thought about death, although I'm sure it's crossed my mind at some point. I don't really see any point in dwelling on the inevitable.