Print Story Great Moments in "The Phantom Menace"
Star Wars
By tps12 (Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 01:21:56 AM EST) Star Wars, Phantom Menace, April Fools Day, Sebulba, Anakin, Fode, Beed, punda, bongu (all tags)
Moment 10

April fools!

OBI-WAN
          What does GOD need with a
          starship?

SEBULBA laughs at ANAKIN.

FODE/BEED (O.S.)
          B: That little human being is
             out of his mind.
          A: Punda tah punda! (They're
             neck and neck!)
          B: They're side by side!
          A: Bongo du bongu! (Shoulder
             to shoulder!)

< Baby Update, and More. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Great Moments in "The Phantom Menace" | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
No. All bets are off. by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 01:25:20 AM EST

Saw 'Send In The Clowns' early this morning, with my nieces. This is an ex-franchise. Turned turdle. No great moments at all. Please stop now.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
yeah by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 01:31:11 AM EST
I watched it the other day, having not seen it since it was in the theaters. I actually think some of the action sequences are decent (better than in Episode I, which goes downhill after the opening sequence), but there's a lot of terrible-ness in there.

So, don't worry, I won't be doing a series on the second movie.

Well, I hadn't seen *at all* until this morning. by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 01:56:14 AM EST

I'd love to say, with extreme nonchalance, that this is because I have a life and am not a fiction-obsessed fan-boy geek, but the truth is nearer, I suspect, to seeing something in The Phantom Menace which told me this thing was going to be a complete train-wreck and even my mean-spirited side just couldn't bear to watch. This has been confirmed.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
"something in The Phantom Menace..." by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 02:00:46 AM EST
Jar Jar Binks

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
plus most of the rest of it. /nt by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 02:05:59 AM EST

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
very funny by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 02:09:49 AM EST
He's hardly in the second movie at all. And when he does show up, it's to start the Clone Wars. Lucas actually listened to The Fans on this one, and just look at the result.

Yes by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 02:16:06 AM EST
Thank TISG the fans pressured him into inserting the R2D2 flying factory scene or the second movie might have sucked.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
heh by tps12 (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 02:21:04 AM EST
  1. The second movie did suck.
  2. Flying R2 (along with everything else in that scene) had to have been the product of the Lucasfilms game division. I don't think fans were clamoring for it.

That's the problem, though. by yicky yacky (4.00 / 2) #10 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 02:34:42 AM EST

There's no central or over-riding vision going on at all. The numbers come back; the numbers say that the original fanbase doesn't like Jar-Jar, but the kids do; 'Screw the original fanbase' says Lucas; Ah, but the numbers say they really don't like Jar-Jar; Okay, we'll lose Jar-Jar and maybe I can get out of it by saying "Ah, you were *meant* to hate him. Hehehe, Am I the cunningest portly beardo in existence?".

This artistic process is applied right across the board. It's impossible not to view the completely unnecessary scenes in the robot factory (in Clowns) and the sliding power doors (in Menace) as having been pre-designed for embedding into a video game. I'm not naive enough to believe the originals were a paragon of purity, but these are utterly artistically and morally bankrupt. Why should I take the family to watch this instead of anyOtherOldCGIShit? At the moment, I'm with the Emperor on this; every last one of these fuckers needs killing.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Yes, give in to the hate by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 6) #12 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 02:52:44 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
you forgot the link by dr k (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 04:55:13 AM EST
I think you meant to link to this quality CGI movie.

:| :| :| :| :|

Medium Chlorinators by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #11 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 02:46:28 AM EST
Meta-clorons midi-colorizers whatever those force gene particles were called.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

What does Santa need with a starship? by Bunny Vomit (4.00 / 3) #3 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 01:32:15 AM EST

~~
OMFGROFFLE!!!!1111marsneedswomen by ROFLCOPTER (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 08:06:01 AM EST

Wuh? by ENOENT (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 03:27:15 AM EST
Obi-Wan Kenobi was in Star Trek V? I must have missed it.

Life is just one damned thing after another.
Love is just two damned things after each other.

pardon me by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 04:48:20 AM EST

this diary looks to have 2 moments

The first movement is the overture by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 05:11:30 AM EST
the mouse overture

Look, if you don't have a decent screencap by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #17 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 08:00:08 AM EST
Don't just slap up an image from the Nokia N-Gage version of Now That's What I Call Pod Racing.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.