Print Story Great Moments in "The Phantom Menace"
Star Wars
By tps12 (Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 02:45:39 AM EST) Star Wars, Phantom Menace, Qui-Gon, Watto, Jedi mind trick (all tags)
Moment 8

QUI-GON, using his mind power, waves his hand again.

QUI-GON
          Credits will do fine.

WATTO
          No, they won'ta. What you
          think you're some kinda Jedi,
          waving your hand around like
          that? I'm a Toydarian. Mind
          tricks don'ta work on me—
          only money. No money, no
          parts! No deal! And no one
          else has a T-14 hyperdrive, I
          promise you that.
< HOWTO: Go on an English package holiday. Like an Englishman. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Great Moments in "The Phantom Menace" | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Definitely not a "Great Moment" by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 02:50:42 AM EST
It was at this moment that I had my first direct misgivings about the movie. Talk about a lame plot device.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
aw, c'mon by tps12 (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 03:06:45 AM EST
Don't you love how the thing you immediately think of—that they can just go find some non-Toydarian vendor who can be JMT'd—is so elegantly dealt with by Watto declaring out of nowhere that for some reason he is the only guy on Tatooine who has any parts for that ship?

I also love this scene because Watto is probably the least frequently acknowledged of the film's ethnic stereotypes, and because it's here that it is revealed that their spaceship is called a "Nubian."

It also glosses over by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 03:18:34 AM EST
a pretty big ethical problem. Are Jedii allowed to just wave their hands and not pay for stuff whenever it's inconvenient? And if they are, why can't they just sneak in later and steal the parts instead of putting an M year old boy in danger?

Searching for the significance (beyond the racist) of "Nubian", I found 78 Reasons to Hate Star Wars: Episode I. That's gonna come in handy.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

yeah, really by tps12 (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 03:33:41 AM EST
Remember when Obi-Wan uses the Force to convince the "death stick" dealer to turn his life around in Episode II? What's up with that? The existence of the Council makes it look like they have a very rigid set of rules governing where and how Jedi powers can be used, but maybe that only applies to who is and is not trained, and it's just assumed that anyone who makes it far enough to be a Jedi Knight probably has good enough judgement to handle these potential pitfalls on their own.

Thanks for the link.

That's what I always assumed by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 03:43:01 AM EST
The good judgement one, I mean. But that doesn't answer the question of why they can't just steal the parts--that was the original plan, after all.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
you're right by tps12 (4.00 / 3) #9 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 03:47:15 AM EST
I think you have discovered a fatal flaw in an otherwise perfectly woven plot.

Jedi Ethics by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 04:47:35 PM EST
apparently it is wrong to steal the starship parts. Yet they lie about winning the racing pod in a card game, and actually steal the parts for it from Watto, and scam him into betting all he has against them, and they used their Jedi Powers to see into the future to know that Anakin won the race.

Therefore, stealing the starship parts is unethical. Yet lying, stealing, and gambling on a contest that they know the outcome to, is suddenly not unethical? Oh wait, they had their fingers crossed, so it didn't count.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
the jedi by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 06:20:18 AM EST
are benevolent dictators.

oh man by tps12 (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 03:37:35 AM EST
I really wish I could read "it's like that part in the Star Wars novel where Lando makes hot chocolate" and not be thinking "oh yeah, totally."

I'm proud to say by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 03:44:23 AM EST
that I read that and thought "Lando makes hot chocolate??"

Most of these are pretty dumb. The IV-VI Nitpicks are a little better, but I think it's pretty funny how he seems to worship the originals without realizing they are almost as bad as the new episodes.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

the hot chocolate scene is really bad by tps12 (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 04:18:00 AM EST
It's from the first Timothy Zahn book, IIRC. Luke is having trouble sleeping, so his roommate Lando (???) tells him about this "strange alien beverage" called hot chocolate. I give Zahn a pass, because (again, IIRC) he also invented "coffeine," which is right up there with Romulan Ale on the list of Great Sci-Fi Beverages.

Yes, this web page rules. Ah, Star Wars, I love it so.

You read at least one Star Wars book? by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 04:27:25 AM EST
OMISG

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
i was 12! (nt) by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 04:45:46 AM EST

so was i! by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 04:49:20 AM EST
I used to wonder who read those. I knew, even then, that those were the lowest of the low.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
I recall reading Splinter of the Mind's Eye by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #17 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 04:56:23 AM EST
which is now so noncanonical, it's hearly heretical.

You people make me sick by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 05:02:21 AM EST
Many times I was at the library and could find nothing to read but never, NEVER did I resort to a Star Wars (or Star Trek) "novel". I had standards.

This entire website is peopled by barbarians and I"M LEAVING FOREVER.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

not when the books came out (nt) by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 05:01:55 AM EST

The Zahn books are decent by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 04:51:51 AM EST
I have all 3.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Payment by TypographicalError (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 03:59:46 AM EST
He was trying to pay in imperial credits, which makes it a bit more foggy. It might be useless money, or it might just be inconvenient for Watto to make it useable.

Or, taken to a further extreme by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 04:26:11 AM EST

What's to stop them from just turning the blue-bottle into salami and just taking the engine? I mean, once they've crossed that line ...

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
hey, wait a second by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 05:42:28 AM EST
You made it past the R2-D2 award ceremony without direct misgivings?

The what? by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 06:06:20 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Moment 5.5 by tps12 (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 06:36:54 AM EST
               CAPT. PANAKA
          ...An extremely well put
          together little droid. Without
          a doubt, it saved the ship, as
          well as our lives.

AMIDALA
          It is to be commended...what
          is its number?

The LITTLE BLUE DROID lets out a series of bleeps. CAPTAIN PANAKA leans over and scrapes some dirt off of the side of the DROID and reads the number:

CAPT. PANAKA
          R2-D2, Your Highness.

AMIDALA
          Thank you, Artoo Detoo. You
          have proven to be very
          loyal. Padme!

PADME bows before the QUEEN.

AMIDALA (CONT'D)
          Clean this droid up the best
          you can. It deserves our
          gratitude.

How can that be before.... by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 06:45:10 AM EST
Oh forget it.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Love of money, big nose, Eastern European by georgeha (4.00 / 6) #2 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 03:04:49 AM EST
accent? Good thing the Ashkenazi aren't a distinct race.

That alien's mouth by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 08:20:25 PM EST
Looks like a cat's arse.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!