Print Story Great Moments in "The Phantom Menace"
Star Wars
By tps12 (Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 02:20:38 AM EST) Star Wars, Phantom Menace, Padme, Anakin, angel, spice pirate (all tags)
Moment 7

She is the most beautiful creaure he has ever seen in his life.

ANAKIN
          Are you an angel?

PADMÉ
          What?

ANAKIN
          An angel. I've heard the deep
          space pilots talk about them.
          They live on the Moons of Iego
          I think. They are the most
          beautiful creatures in the
          universe. They are good and
          kind, and so pretty they make
          even the most hardened spice
          pirate cry.
< What's the story? morning glory | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Great Moments in "The Phantom Menace" | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
She's very pretty! by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 02:25:38 AM EST
What's with all the table-top arcade machines? And the big blue bellend in the background? Is that really Artex on the table-top arcade machine housing?

That child looks like it could do with a slap.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Man, that was such a forced line. by Jave27 (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 02:26:20 AM EST
I didn't like Anakin's dialogue throughout most of the first movie.  Granted, Natalie Portman is quite beautiful, but that response sounds like an overused pickup line by a 400 pound geek on a vodka binge.

"Beating up the homeless. It's cruel, but it's a good clean work-out and leaves you feeling winded and superior." - CheeseburgerBrown

i.e. George Lucas by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 4) #3 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 03:05:52 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
yup by tps12 (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 03:08:13 AM EST
Everyone complained about the kid's performance, but I think most of the blame has rest on Lucas. Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen appeared to be terrible actors as well, but if you see them in Garden State and Shattered Glass, respectively, it's clear that they are both very talented. I don't know if it's entirely Lucas's tin ear for dialogue, or if his direction is also partly to blame; whatever it is, he manages to get terrible performances out of excellent actors.

He doesn't direct by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 04:00:57 AM EST
You know the scene in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back where Wes Craven is counting his money rather than directing?  Ewan McGregor said that Lucas didn't give any meanigful direction, he just demanded that the same scene be shot over and over again so that he could edit something together later.  It seems that he just got lucky with the cast in Episode IV, who pretty much did the film themselves while Lucas was out negotiating the merchandising rights.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
that makes sense by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 04:06:35 AM EST
I'd forgotten he was even credited as directing Episode IV.

Obi Wan Kenobi by ENOENT (4.00 / 2) #9 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 04:20:40 AM EST
You know, Sir Alec Guinness used to complain about the utterly banal lines he had to utter for his part in the Star Wars movies.

Right now, in some odd dimension, he's watching Episodes 1 and 2, and laughing hysterically.

Life is just one damned thing after another.
Love is just two damned things after each other.

it's deliberate. by rmg (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 04:35:34 AM EST
i somewhat understand the effect he is trying to create. it's basically about naivete in the narrative. it has such an adverse effect on the movies as a whole, i don't understand why he uses it though.

it's not an accident though. it's his direction.

[t]rolling retards conversation, period.

link? by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 05:02:34 AM EST
I'd not heard this before. This is a new concept he developed since Return of the Jedi?

uh, by rmg (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 07:17:39 AM EST
you thought that the return of the jedi had good acting? it's exactly the same as the new ones, it just seems less apparent because you're making allowances for what you imagine was standard in the seventies.

[t]rolling retards conversation, period.
yo yo yo by Nigga (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 06:43:27 AM EST
yo yo yo Jave is back
and he made his icon more whack
Lucas ain't smooth like jave is no, no, no
he'da had anakin mackin like a pro, fo, sho
wooin amadala like he did K
fatherin luke who ends up gay

well well, look what we have here... by Jave27 (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 07:57:22 AM EST
well well, look what we have here...

A racially confused and abused little queer,
hastily fused with skewed views that appear
recklessly used and bemusingly dear,
but there is one thing that's obtusively clear:
Nigga's back pickin' fights where he should be cowerin' in fear,
his sac-lickin' trite on my turf will be jeered.
Just a hack despite all his practiced rhymin'-filled years,
he still cracks at the sight of me; runs away in tears.

But, I'll tell ya' what, kiddo, here's what I'll do:
I'll entertain your inane drivel for a minute or two.
You get 4 more verses, including the final adieu,
we'll vote at both sites, one for me, one for you,
take the straight average, let the hoi polloi choose...
Just pray that my package won't be your feedin' tube.

check yo'self homes by Nigga (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 09:25:47 AM EST
Chill out jave, i wasn't pickin no fight
You're quite impolite when ya write, am i right?
I came out, sayin you're smooth like a good frame rate
And you come back at me with some inane flame bait?
Why the hate? Can't you put the beef aside
Or do u wish to die on my homiez' next ryde?
Cause we gon escelate this shit out to big and pac scale
Wishin ya frail ass went to yale to deflect the bullet trail
I'll puke in a pale when you nail male tail like aphrael
All hail to the Nigga niggaz, I'm da 1 one that wont fail

So what's it gonna be two seven?
keep the cheap beef revvin?
Or set let it go, like a cheap ho
from a titty show passed to a bro?
We can tag team baddoggie's next rhyme
As a duo what heights can we climb?
Or share some of the bars on the tight ass beats
That come to us courtesy of mathgeeks

alright by Jave27 (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 02:55:30 AM EST
I'll back down, but not cuz I'm weak,
you just inspired me to a new level of geek.
I've really got nothing today on the rhyme attack front,
so I just started a ridiculous hunt
for new talent, new trolls, new folks to attack...
maybe we can team up and defeat these hacks...

So, whadya' say, time to team up?
We can postpone our fake beef for a month.

Wait... what the... by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 04:04:24 AM EST
Padme is Amidala!  Why did nobody tell me?  Also, why can't we have accéntéd characters inside spoiler blocks?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
shhh, we're not there yet (nt) by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 04:08:48 AM EST

yeah, you know, she is pretty hot. by rmg (2.50 / 2) #10 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 04:29:54 AM EST
who plays her anyway?

[t]rolling retards conversation, period.