Print Story It's a slippery slope
Politics
By hulver (Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 03:12:46 AM EST) (all tags)
More insideous advertising creeping into the stories.

Is there no end to my quest to make money off the goodwill of you fine people?

Just below the related links box is a new google advertising feature type thing.

It's a list of the keywords that google have found in the page that you're reading.

That's it.

In more google related news, I managed to cash the adsense cheque that they sent me. Only 20% of it was taken in bank charges. That's what you get for cashing a USian cheque.

Details are on the accounts page

Of course, they're now offering to pay in local currency, which is nice.

I got the finance documents for the laptop the other day.

I must remember to pay it off as soon as the 12 months is up.

Price of laptop £500.
Early payment charge if you take the 12 months option £50.
Total if you remember to cough up in time £550

Interest charged if you don't take the 12 month option £400.
Total if you don't cough up in time £900.

That's one date I definately don't want to forget.

More hulver money news.

I just transfered my current Credit card balance to a 0% interest for 7 months thing. Hopefully I'll have it all paid off before they start charging interest on it. Even if I don't, it'll still be less interest on the remainder.

Also, April is the last payment I have to make to my Dad to pay him off the money he lent me.

This time next year I'll be a millionaire debt free! (Apart from the mortgage)

< Please bear with me everyone | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
It's a slippery slope | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Just sent you a note by By The Grace of God (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 03:14:06 AM EST
to hulver@hulver.com, by the way..

I support any advertising efforts you undertake.

God, am I sorry. -Jack Nicholson

I for one welcome our new Google overlords by debacle (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 03:56:46 AM EST
Or something of the sort.

I've never donated money in any real way to a web site before. I am considering it.

Where should I send these pounds of money, and through what venue?

Should I buy an ad? No one sees them anyway. I think you should put kuro5hin-style ads somewhere on the page (Even if it's at the bottom). Even if it's just a bulletin board for special events etc.

Heh by hulver (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 04:06:09 AM EST
Buy an ad?

Ad's are free on HuSi, it's more like an MLP section than ads. If there are any, then they appear in the rotation in place of the google and amazon ads.

There is a paypal address in the FAQ, if you are so inclined.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Paypal you say? by debacle (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 06:03:13 AM EST
And what, if any, effect does my donation have on getting rid of the hideous cow?

that's not a very nice way... by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 01:22:36 PM EST
to refer to Mrs Mouse.

Oh... by debacle (2.00 / 0) #30 Fri Mar 25, 2005 at 10:37:15 AM EST
Burn!

I have no objection to you making money from me... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 03:57:21 AM EST
I would recommend selling parts of my diary entry to 'Womans Own' magazine as a true story.

I've thought about it.

Hulver could make more by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 05:54:27 AM EST
Selling anonimouse diaries to Penthouse.

Yes but they'd all be made up by debacle (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 06:04:27 AM EST
And somehow involve obscene uses of cheese and liquor.

I don't mind the new ads by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 04:35:02 AM EST
I don't like the layout much, though. A huge gap of white space below the watchlists and then it almost overalps the "User Files" box.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
I see no gap by hulver (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 06:44:49 AM EST
What browser are you using, and any chance of a screen shot?
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Mozarella by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 06:52:55 AM EST
The gap is mainly only noticeable because of the non-gap at the bottom.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

Any movement on the, uh, you know by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 04:36:30 AM EST
The thing.  With that guy.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Nope by hulver (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 06:29:22 AM EST
I've heard nothing from him.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Bah by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 06:48:23 AM EST
Damn that guy, about that thing.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Ad-sense by cam (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 05:48:40 AM EST
The AFC site has made a grand total of $2.97 in the last month from google ad-sense. Out of interest, what is the click through rate for HuSi?

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Not Brilliant by hulver (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 06:32:54 AM EST
Avg is 2 clicks a day. $0.10 a day.

Still, it's money for no effort on my part, which is the best sort :)
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

That is low by cam (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 07:38:40 AM EST
I thought HuSi would get more clicks than that given the variety of info and bizarre ads that pop up. The AFC site gets 0.07c a day.

May I suggest that you make the box behind the google-ad flash red and white until a person clicks on the ad. Then it is set to off (no blinking, just normal white background) for the rest of week. That might up the click through rates.

You wouldnt be breaking the terms of service but instead encouraging the HuSi readership to pay greater attention to the google ad-sense advertising.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

you get money for click-throughs? by komet (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 07:49:24 AM EST
I'll be clicking through every ad from now on.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Juse Caution! by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 2) #18 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 08:03:04 AM EST
Don't get too click happy, or Hulver'll get sacked with the old "fraudulent clicks!" e-mail and his AdSense account will be closed with no real path of recourse.

Also: some of us around here actually pay to advertise through Google, and we do so hate to hear talk of people who click on ads with no legitimate interest in the proffered product.

Also, please keep in mind that Hulver cannot really comment, as fishing for clicks goes against the AdSense TOS.

_____
Alright by komet (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 08:07:42 AM EST
No more than two click-throughs a day, and only to sites which clearly need to be relieved of their money.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
new and used curry paste by garlic (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 04:40:58 AM EST
on sale now, at ebay.

IVMAWTP by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 08:04:35 AM EST
Hulver, do you get money for each click? I can click - I can click real good.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
Please do not by hulver (4.00 / 1) #21 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 08:07:07 AM EST
They are very quick to remove accounts for fraudulent clicks.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
You misunderstand, I think by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 08:54:40 AM EST
I literally meant clicking - I wouldn't be so unsubtle as to automate the process. Would they kick up a fuss (or even notice) if I were to click on every ad link I saw, do you think?

It's your call - I certainly don't want to cause any trouble.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

Yes by dn (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 12:51:40 PM EST
Web ads mean billions of $CURRENCY to Google. They take click through funnies seriously.

I ♥
 TOXIC
WASTE

when do they call foul? by mrgoat (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 06:05:08 PM EST
I'll click through every google thingy except on husi lots of times, therefore voiding every advertising attempt accept through hulver.

He shall be our new advertising mind control overlord!

--top hat--

Indeed, what RogerBorg said. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 08:05:08 AM EST
Please do not just click on the ads for the sake of clicking on them.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Gah! by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 08:16:41 AM EST
Muzzled by the AdS TOS, I am reluctant to disclose my exact earnings, but I'd always (now I see incorrectly) assumed that they would be dwarfed by HuSi's earnings.

There's got to be some jiggering you can do to improve the CTR. Tried different colours, different positions? Where's kpaul when you need him? He's a bona fide expert.

P.S. Personally, I've found that AdLinks don't perform very well so far. Nobody clicks on them except webmasters running AdSense who want to check out the new toy.

How many raw page views does HuSi get in a day? (I'm not asking your AdSense impressions...that's against the gag order.) I guess more importantly, how many unique visitors?

_____
Well by hulver (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 08:27:54 AM EST
There is a super sekrit stats that says the page views.

The stats for last month are skewed because of a change to the CSS handling.

I think we're getting around 20,000 page views a day, although how many are real people and how many are robots I don't know.

I'm not trying to increase traffic at the moment, because I'm waiting for the new server. We're finally getting OK performance and I don't want to spoil it.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Need Better Targetting by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 08:45:35 AM EST
Okay, everybody go out and write a diary that's laced with high paying keywords, and then AdS will place higher paying ads on the margins.

I'm no expert, but don't all the smart geeks use the Overture bids as their benchmark for keyword value?

From my limited experience all I know is that "movie" related ads pay about 25x more than "misc" ones (like blog-related, computing-related, etc.). My only real incentive to post my oldest, crappiest movies on my website is because the AdS performance on those pages is absolutely phenomenal.

_____
New advertising by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #31 Sat Mar 26, 2005 at 09:42:57 AM EST
Having witnessed the new advertising in my diary I believe you were born to be an American.

---------------
Get yourself a US$ account. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #33 Fri Apr 01, 2005 at 10:58:28 AM EST
There is a bank out there with which you can open a US$ account, you deposit your US cheques there, no comission.

Email me if you want the name.

It's a slippery slope | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback