Print Story Yes, but what if this really IS the Age of the Aquarius?
By extremely tedious HuSer (Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 01:12:56 AM EST) (all tags)
Remember all the fuss about the AOA? I never really got all the exctiment. I mean, what if it turned out to be even worse than the Age of Pisces? Haven't the trust fund kids Hippies/New Agilists watched Mars Attacks?
And little more!!

Warning: includes AstroPoll.

And before anybody calls me a racist or something, I am an aquarian myself - remember, it is ok for an aquarian to make aquarian jokes, but if anyone else dares to do the same, they will be liable to be put under house arrests (UK) or given the sunshine holiday treatment (US).
Now that I made all that clear, let us begin.

What does Aquarianism stand for?
Look at how sweet they are, my fellow aquarians. And listen to what they have to say:

Concerned Men And Women Implementing Divine Administration Within An Intentional Community and Eco-Village, Who Believe That They Are Destiny Reservists Called By God From All Around The Globe To Help Try To Solve The Problems Of The World By Serving Humanity On A Local As Well As A Global Scale And Who Are Trying To Bring Peace And Justice To Our Planet.
It's very important stuff - you can tell by the fact each word is capitalized.
But read closely - Concerned Men And Women Implementing Divine Administration - rings a bell?

And there is more evidence the AOA is not as good as advertised. Not that I am going to present it to you or anything - I am at work after all!!

Take Beyond the Horizon: Visions of a New Millennium by Walter Mercado
Now in the Age of Aquarius, everything becomes  unified. All our differences, all our dualities mix  together like the fragrances of a flower shop
Our individual worth comes from inside, ... and what we can give to society. Now our drastic differences dissolve and we integrate into the whole
Doesn't that just describe the McDonaldisation of the world?
And what about
People now seek the unification of all  peoples, and we concern ourselves more with humanity  in general than with ourselves
Doesn't that sound just a little bit scary? What if the AOA turns out to be just a bleak Matrix-like world???

Spike Lee
Watched Spike Lee's Jungle Fever the other day. Wasn't my choice, I've seen enough of his movies. He's a funny one, Mr Lee. I understand his movies are important because they voice the concerns and frustrations of his particular slice of America. A couple of his movies  are OK, but the rest are a bit samey, long, self indugent (he alwyas gives himself a part in which he gets to makes racist controversial statements, and always gets to snog one beautiful black actress, which is a bit shabby in my book). I am not too sure about his obsession with Italo Americans, which appear in most of his movies. Are Italo Americans really the way they are portrayed in Spike Lee's movies? they make me cringe. Which i am sure, is exactly the effect the self important git guy is after.
No, I didn't like that movie very much.

Linky
The old classics are always the best, even when they are slightly too long.

Let the begin begin!
Going to watch the original Solaris at the cinema tonight, then off the Hampsted Heath for afters. Long weekend!

< But it's not like that in the movies | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Yes, but what if this really IS the Age of the Aquarius? | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Family Guy by Jave27 (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 01:21:15 AM EST
There was a Family Guy reference to Spike Lee in one episode...  I think it was Stewie who said something about "like a white man's dialogue in a Spike Lee film", then a flashback to a neanderthal-talking white guy who just uttered gibberish for a bit.

And, no, not all Italo Americans are like that, but there are definitely some of them that act that way.  Spikey likes to lump everyone into categories either to make a point or sell more films.  Apparently, it works for the latter.

"Beating up the homeless. It's cruel, but it's a good clean work-out and leaves you feeling winded and superior." - CheeseburgerBrown

Yes by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 01:33:26 AM EST
There's something fishy about the guy.

Not only that, he's a Francophile by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 01:51:40 AM EST
In Crooklyn, the protagonist drives a Citroen station wagon. Who ever heard of a black person driving a French car since Josephine Baker?

Plus, Lee like jazz, and we know how those French people feel about jazz.

xtH should listen to his instincts and avoid Spike Lee, lest he grow unEnglish French sympathies.

I have lots of sympathy for the French by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 02:17:45 AM EST
Escept for 1998 and 2000, due to football reasons.

We call them cousins, and basically consider them a bit like us (we have very similar obsessions culture, except they are the  gay version).

Now if we were talking about the Swiss...

I think the French and the English by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 02:33:19 AM EST
Are really similar. It's why we hate each other so much.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I think the same thing by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 04:57:16 AM EST
about the US and France. A lot of completely unfounded moral superiority spouting from both cultures. It's pretty amusing if you can ignore the body count.

Hampstead Heath at night? by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 01:22:06 AM EST
Er, didn't know you were of that persuasion.

I am not by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 01:27:41 AM EST
We are talking bunch of friends, bottle of ones, that kind of thing.

Bottles of wine! by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 01:40:53 AM EST
gosh - better stop working and go to the pub.

WIPO by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 01:30:06 AM EST

As long as significant numbers of humankind believe in it, it cannot be treated as the froth-mouthed retarded bunkum it so patently is.
[cf. Islam, Christianity, The Free Market, Unix]

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
The mother of all trolls! by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 01:36:04 AM EST
You forgot to include women, Apple computers and Americans!!

A Windows-using commie? by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 01:46:43 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Spike Lee by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 01:50:11 AM EST
Grew up in Brooklyn and writes about Brooklyn, which explains all the Italian-Americans. For example Do The Right Thing is set in Bed-Stuy, which is an area where Italian-Americans and African-Americans live side by side.

For the positive side of this see Son of Sam, which is exclusively about working-class Italian Americans.

I think he's writing about what he knows.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

But the bad guy in Son of Sam is white! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 01:54:08 AM EST
and probably Jewish! Sounds racist to me.

A-and, the Italians beat up a guy wearing a British flag. It's clear Spike Lee is a francophile who hates the British.

Georgeha, you are a very nice guy by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 10:50:11 PM EST
But you are rubbish at trolling!!

Also by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 02:01:48 AM EST
The other reason for the fascination with Italian-Americans is that Spike Lee worships Martin Scorcese.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Good point [nt] by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 02:02:21 AM EST

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

To me they look a bit cartoonish by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 02:25:13 AM EST
As do the blacks in his movies, I must admit.

OTOH, I am ready to believe Italo Americans are like he portrays them - I have been to Bedford, where there is the largest Italian community in the UK. They have street parties where they listen to folk music so old even my grandad wouldn't know it.

My uncle shouted at my auntie then hit her on the face because she didn't lay the dinner table correctly - all she did was to  forget the forks! They also tried to marry me off to a doctor's daughter ("She's Sri Lankan, but don't worry, a very good catholic girl"). I was supposed to stay for a few days, I made my excuses and got after one afternoon there! Never experienced anything so backwards in my whole life!

And that's England, relatively close to Italy - I can only imagine what they are like in places like Australia, or the US!

Hard to say by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 03:18:17 AM EST
Remember that the italian communities in the US have been hear ~100 years. There's been some cultural divergence.

But in some sense, he's painting in broad strokes because of the sorts of messages he's interested in. (In his older movies...I haven't seen any of his later things.) "Do The Right Thing" pretty much had to have stereotypical behavior to work. Subtle characters would have weakened the message.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I suppose by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 02:03:52 AM EST
Do the Right Thing is one of his movies I really enjoyed (went to see it twice at cinema, which I don't do often). Summer of Sam I quite liked as well

I suppose the (Italo|Afro)/American thing is a different angle from the more kosher Southern redneck/negro scenario.

I found Jungle Fever a bit contrived though -  it reminded me of that Woody Allen movie with the classical Greek actors (forgot its name)

Clockers by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 02:09:29 AM EST
is pretty good too. It often gets overlooked, because it was a 'smaller' film than others he was doing at the time (Malcolm X etc.)
----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
It gets overlooked by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 02:29:31 AM EST
Because it is a so-so adaptation of a fucking amazing book. One of my favourites ever.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Which raises the question by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 02:45:24 AM EST

of when have you ever seen a film adaption of an amazing book which wasn't so-so or worse in comparison?

Price wrote the screenplay ...

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Ghost World by LinDze (4.00 / 1) #23 Thu Mar 24, 2005 at 12:29:35 PM EST
Fan of the comic and I really liked the movie.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
Actually, that's not bad. by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #25 Fri Mar 25, 2005 at 01:31:11 AM EST

But 'Ghost World' was just one recurring strip of many within Clowes' work, so I'm not sure it can rightly be compared with, say, converting 'Bonfire Of The Vanities', for example. Comic strips are, by their nature, much more visual in their prima facie form. Even so, 'Ghost World' was good enough to head off the sniping of eight-ball anoraks; I'm not sure it was actually better.

----