Print Story Funny, I don't feel any smarter...
Health
By aristus (Fri Feb 11, 2005 at 01:19:32 AM EST) (all tags)
People vary. It's not kosher to say so any more, unless you are an insurance company and want to separate the good risks from alcoholics and people with dodgy genes. Yet it's still true.

I'm 26 years old. I have a lease, my own company and a dependent feline. No more acne, no more embarrassed mumbling around the creatures with funny bumps under their shirts.

So why in the name of Bog are my wisdom teeth coming in now?

"Mmm. Slow growing teeth," the ortho says. "Runs in the family?"

"Ow," I say helpfully.

"We'll have to take X-Rays to be sure but I can feel buds pushing up on the bottom, too. Funny they didn't show up when you were a teenager."

"Ugh huh."

"Well, nothing for it. They are just too big for your mouth. They're coming in sideways. You'll have to get them extracted."

whimper

< This Was A Pizza Hut | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Funny, I don't feel any smarter... | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
best thing ever by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 11, 2005 at 01:32:35 AM EST
I was roughly that age when mine were still not through and still trying when I finally got a dentist who realised it was a problem and arranged for extractions. Wish it had been done years before.

Anything to stop the madness by aristus (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 11, 2005 at 02:05:47 AM EST
but does it have to be with the cutting and drilling and yanking and the hurting?
__
"Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." Isaiah 13:17
"Blessed the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9

Probably not by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 11, 2005 at 02:18:32 AM EST
But when you're under general anaesthetic, that is largely irrelevant. If you need the bottom set out, this is more likely.

I was 22 by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Feb 11, 2005 at 02:03:09 AM EST
Had all 4 out at once. Spent 2 days on oxy. Still have holes in my gums.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

26? Pah. I'm 31 by IEFBR14 (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Feb 11, 2005 at 02:29:03 AM EST
and I have one wisdom tooth that's been partially erupted for about four years and the other three have yet to break the gums. No apparent rate of growth at all.

But, as they're not causing me any problems (for problems read pain), and the dentist is unconcerned, I'm not worried. Not yet, anyway.

Wisdom teeth come out when one is well past by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 11, 2005 at 02:32:33 AM EST
adolescence.

It's all in the name, aristus!!!

are you feeling any pain from them? by 606 (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Feb 11, 2005 at 11:02:17 AM EST
True story, my dentist said when I was 19 I had to get them out. Went to the ortho and I asked him if I would be put under when he did it. "Nope," he says "too risky. We'll give you sedation."

So I wimp out, don't get it done, see my dentist after another 9 months and he says "so you got those wisdoms out?" I'm like "uh, no". "Well you should," he says. But I don't.

Another 9 months pass, I don't get it done. See my dentist he says "So you got them out?", I say "uh, no". He opens my mouth and looks in. "Hey," he says "looks like you have space for 'em after all."

Current status, three have come up normally and one is sideways in my jaw, but isn't moving or doing anything.

YMMV.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

only a partial... and i was 28 by wndl (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Feb 11, 2005 at 04:44:00 PM EST
After years of nothing on xrays, one finally showed up at age 28. It turned out to only be 1/4 of a tooth, so a seemingly simple extraction, except it was hooked. Luckily for me, my dentist rocks, and was able to pull it out without breaking it. The whole procedure took 30mins from the time I walked in the door til I left. I'm now 34 and no other wisdom teeth have shown up in xray.

My sister had all four in her early 20s, they were all impacted and all four locations got infected after removal. Glad I didn't have that mess!

"...there you have it: an actual anecdote, second hand, from the Internet."--DesiredUsername
"what fun is gettin naked on a webcam if ya have to provide tech support"--dev trash