Print Story Snow Day!
By aric17103 (Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 07:03:15 AM EST) (all tags)
Not really....what is wrong with Pennsylvania when it comes to snow days?  If this amount of snow had fallen on the Washington/Baltimore area it would be cause for at least 1 day off, instead I get a 2 hour delay!  I'm a fake sys admin and I need help.  All this Xbox 360 madness has inspired me to get back to my video games roots.
Poll: Ever had your rights read to you?

I am still trying to wrap my mind around the idea that when it snows you have to go to work...today is the first 'real' amount of snowfall I have seen since moving to Pennsylvania, I am still in disbelief that I am at work now.  Just 200 miles south of here 2 inches of snow would completely shut down the county where I lived.  Of course 2 inches of snow does not actually prevent you from going to work (or doing anything else) but it was a general consensus that everyone got the day off.

Last week my 6 month anniversary passed here at work...I am now a state worker (and presumably I cannot lose my job)  My official job title is IT Generalist but in reality I am a member of the Sys Admin team, I do not have the faintest idea what a Sys Admin does.  I have spent the last 6 months making the occasional spreadsheet, loading Server 2003 on Dells and (mostly) surfing the Internet.  I am burned out from boredom at only 6 months.  Question: Any recommended books or websites to get my Sys Admin career rolling?

All the recent talk about the Xbox 360 got me thinking of the first video game console I owned...the Atari  So I dug out my old Atari (I bought on ebay 2 years ago) and played my favourite game for that system - Missile Command  I also tried to play Adventure, it seemed so cool when I was 7 years old but last night it just seems like a boring game centred around a single large pixel...disappointing

< Monumental fuck up | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Snow Day! | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
It takes a countywide state of emergency by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 07:08:49 AM EST
to keep me from coming into work. In snow terms, that means enough snow to keep the hosts of snowplows too busy to make the roads passable, which is generally in the feet to yards (metres) level. Yes, it takes multiple feet of snow per day to shut us down.

Rights and in Maranda? by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 07:20:13 AM EST
No. But rights as in "Here's what'll happen if they press charges", yes.

WIPO: My local bookstore holds a by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 08:29:38 AM EST
rights-reading every Sunday evening. Donuts after.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Sysadmin Daily Chart by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 08:48:59 AM EST
  1. Dick around.
  2. Dick around.
  3. Dick around.
  4. Dick around.
  5. Dick around.
  6. Dick around.
  7. Take a nap.
  8. Dick around some more.
  9. Dick around.
  10. Take another nap.
  11. Answer some stupid question from somebody about something.
  12. Dick around.
  13. GOTO 10

Where is the make poopie? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 08:52:48 AM EST

Oops! by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 09:04:10 AM EST

Please insert at #3, "Make poops"

I was gonna say. . . by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 09:22:59 AM EST

You want a website to teach you how to be a sysadmin, you're looking at it. Right this very second you're doing what a sysadmin does. Right now. Right here.

So true by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 09:27:08 AM EST

All those other places can teach you all sorts of crap you "need to know" to get a sysadmin job, but this is the place to see sysadmins actually working.

So.. by aric17103 (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 09:35:04 AM EST
These last six months have not be wasted?  I actually fell right into the job and am doing it properly?  I feel better, thanks for the feedback

No minute is wasted as a sysadmin by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 10:02:39 AM EST

Only "managers" feel differently. Keep pluggin' away!

Not all managers. by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 10:30:25 AM EST

My current manager has also been a sysadmin, and has actually told me, "some people don't get that chatting and bullshitting online can be an excellent research tool."

Fuck yeah, that's the stuff right there.

this is the marketing guy? by garlic (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 10:54:27 AM EST
or has your life gone all topsy turvy and I missed it?

No, no. by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 12:20:28 PM EST

My direct manager. The guy I brought in and trained to be my boss? The marketing genius is still over him. And still making our lives a living hell on a daily basis, except when he's on vacation, like this week.

nigga, please, live in my neighborhood by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 03:07:35 PM EST
2 inches? we got 4 inches here (about an hour east of you) capped off with a  bit of ice.... oh and an hour after the snow/sleet stopped the PA state roads here were only salted with 4 inches on the road not plowed. It was only when I got close to the DE state line were they wet.

And just keepin it tru to da hood, when I got home tonight the PA roads were still covered in a slushy turning into freezing ice mess. Apparently the snowplows don't work when it's sunny out like it was this afternoon...

Snow Day! | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback