Print Story Music Fun 'Challenge' number several
Music
By ambrosen (Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 11:08:16 AM EST) MFC, Status Quo, Music (all tags)
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen of the community of the site of the Hulver,

It has come to my attention that while there has been a significant increase in the tendencies and abilities of the more regular posters to RTFO, it has now been a while since the last official Music Fun Challenge.

As I suggested a while ago a particular theme that I thought would be fun, and there was general acceptance that it may be quite cool, I now take the opportunity to announce the first ever

Status Quo Music Fun Challenge

The Music

Status Quo are a moderately successful UK rock band, formed in 1962, and still performing and releasing music now. They are famous for their signature uncomplicated guitar sound, 4/4 time signature and simple bombastic lyrics. Sample lyrics are

A giddy-up, a giddy-up and get away,
we're going crazy and we're going today.
Here we go rockin' all over the world.

And I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it,
I li-li-like it, li-li-like it,
here we go rockin' all over the world.
(From Rockin' All Over The World (iTunes sample)). Further characteristic samples are Whatever You Want, Down Down and Caroline. I'm afraid non iTunes users will need to find their own samples if they need to familiarise themselves. However...

The Fun

It's good easy music to play and it shouldn't need too much skill to produce something listenable. I wouldn't propose something difficult because I'm not a musician myself. Suggested ways you can take this:

• If you don't know the band: Find some of the guitar tabs and lyrics, and perform it without reference to how the band would play it.
  • Take the music and make it into something it isn't. Melodic bubblegum pop, electronica, classical, a capella, whatever. Add arrangements, play it on your own best instrument.
  • Cover something else in the style of Status Quo.
  • Just take the music and RTFO with it.

The Challenge

Play early and play often. Post links to your music in this diary as soon as you upload it.

Closing date is Thursday 15th December, unless someone else wants it. Voting will close on the following Monday (19th December) to be finished for Christmas.

I think that's everything. If anyone can provide hosting, please say. I'll follow up if I locate any of my own.

What you should do right now

1. Hotlist this story.
  2. Think up what you want to do.
  3. RTFO
< It's just one of those things | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Music Fun 'Challenge' number several | 69 comments (69 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Oh yay by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 2) #1 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 11:21:35 AM EST
My annual "Dr T. gets hired to play Christmas carols for upper-class twits and makes an arse of himself through lack of practise and excess booze" night is the 19th, and now I have yet another excuse to drive me from proper preparation. Rah!

Which reminds me. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 11:52:13 AM EST
I'm carol singing in Chiswick on Saturday. No reason to tell anyone about it, but I thought I would. I'll be hiding at the back pretending I can sing.

Ah, groovy! by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #14 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 06:12:43 PM EST
Missed your comment first time around, sounds like an excuse to get out of bed before evening time, mail me details and I might1 pop along!

1Pending hangover status, natch

Wot no picture? by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 2) #2 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 11:41:44 AM EST
Status Quo
Editors by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 11:49:09 AM EST
Please crop and put in the article as you see fit.

If we were going for good taste, I'd suggest very small.

Woo! Yay! Teh Quo!!! by Gully Foyle (4.00 / 2) #20 Mon Dec 05, 2005 at 05:07:36 AM EST
Ahem. Scuse me. Came over all b3ta for a sec...

i can provide hosting. by 256 (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 01:05:17 PM EST
and i will bring this before the table at the next band practise. I'm sure SMUT can do something with this.

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
You rule, sir. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 01:13:19 PM EST
And now this has enough momentum that I will be obliged to try out my piano noodling.

I've never yet picked up a tune by ear, so this will be a departure for me. Also, I'm just alerting people that there will be low barriers of entry, as well as the high quality RTFOing we've all heard lately.

Maybe even collaboratively mixed stuff, too.

yo by 256 (4.00 / 4) #21 Mon Dec 05, 2005 at 08:19:00 AM EST

it's not pretty, but it works.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Dude, that's awesome by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #23 Mon Dec 05, 2005 at 10:13:58 AM EST
Seriously - who cares what it looks like?  If you can keep that available for future contests then that would be even more awesomerest.

Now for the trivial task of actually writing a fucking entry.

shouldn't be difficult by 256 (4.00 / 2) #24 Mon Dec 05, 2005 at 10:48:10 AM EST
i have a lot of storage and the server has survived two slashdottings without flinching.

in fact my only concern at all is that i don't want to have to institute an authentication system, so right now anyone can upload and i would have to delete inauthentic entries by hand. so let's just keep this little secret between you and me.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Sounds great by cam (4.00 / 2) #50 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 01:10:47 PM EST
I was always a fan of the mic picking up the amplified and non-amplified sound at the same time. Back when I was a young lad we recorded a song like that in a 16 track studio. Funny. Now my iBook/garageband2 is way more powerful than that big expensive studio.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

this is just what I need! by dr k (4.00 / 2) #7 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 01:36:04 PM EST
I have been lacking in creative energy since the breakup of my band, Poison Lemon, two weeks ago.

:| :| :| :| :|

Perhaps by joh3n (4.00 / 2) #8 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 02:45:10 PM EST
I will have to attempt an entry in the style of Biz Markie and Rahzel.

----

sheeezzbooom rah-zhellll by 606 (4.00 / 3) #26 Mon Dec 05, 2005 at 12:32:58 PM EST
But can you mazzake drum noizzzes with your mozzouth?

-----
imagine dancing banana here
B-zzt, B-zzt, b'tayam by joh3n (4.00 / 2) #27 Mon Dec 05, 2005 at 03:36:23 PM EST
hellz yeah.

----

Addedndum by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 2) #9 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 03:36:44 PM EST
A lot of tab sites seem to be in awe of the Quo, and subsequently over-complicate their guitar tabs.

This auther has the right idea.

Status Quo sang Safety Dance? by cam (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 04:55:50 PM EST
Status Quo used boogie guitar a lot right? The blues shuffle?

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Well, kinda sorta by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 2) #12 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 06:09:28 PM EST
Ultimately, 12 bar blues structure 'cept for when that gets too challenging. Bless 'em.

After going through the iTunes music store by cam (4.00 / 2) #11 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 05:11:18 PM EST
Reckon I might have a go at the song Heavy Traffic.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Argh! by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 3) #13 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 06:10:26 PM EST
No! NO no no no no no! I knew this MFC was a bad idea, this is how it starts, THIS is how quodom starts!

/runs away screaming.

Dont know what you are worried about by cam (4.00 / 1) #15 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 06:22:35 PM EST
Im gonna drive, driiiiiive, heavy traffic.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Argh!!!oneoneoneone *screams girlishly* etc. n/t by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 2) #16 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 06:29:37 PM EST

The Angels by Phage (4.00 / 2) #17 Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 10:43:23 PM EST
Had some very similar tracks.
Heh - Currently listening to 'Underneath the Radar'...Ahh nostalgia.

+1 VSTFP Angels buzzsaw guitar by cam (4.00 / 1) #19 Mon Dec 05, 2005 at 02:17:46 AM EST
What was that you said? by gazbo (4.00 / 3) #18 Mon Dec 05, 2005 at 12:15:29 AM EST
Ice-cool electro-pop based on the 12 bar blues and banal repetitive lyrics?

I THINK SO.

Whoa by The Fool (4.00 / 2) #22 Mon Dec 05, 2005 at 08:37:49 AM EST
My old band was working on "Matchstick Men" at one point. Maybe I'll try something with that.

Unfortunately... by The Fool (4.00 / 2) #25 Mon Dec 05, 2005 at 11:38:22 AM EST
our original concept was to do a throat-singing version, but I can only do throat-singing when I have a really bad cold.

please to be sending RL address by TPD (4.00 / 2) #32 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 12:29:11 AM EST
I can quite happily sneeze in an envelope for you....

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
I spoke too soon by The Fool (4.00 / 3) #36 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 05:26:27 AM EST
Three year old sounds like he's been smoking 4 packs a day for the past 40 years. Maybe the throat singing is on, after all.

(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #28 Tue Dec 06, 2005 at 10:41:11 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 2) #29 Tue Dec 06, 2005 at 10:42:20 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

F-ING A DUDE by 256 (4.00 / 3) #30 Tue Dec 06, 2005 at 01:08:41 PM EST
setting a high initial bar.

your voice belongs on a rickety stage in a smoke filled saloon where everyone is working slowly on drinking themselves to death.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Thanks man [nt] by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #31 Wed Dec 07, 2005 at 03:01:47 AM EST

Nice one! by TPD (4.00 / 2) #33 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 12:48:09 AM EST
great start to this MFC!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Ouch by TPD (4.00 / 3) #34 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 12:51:14 AM EST
not sure when I'll get the time..... but I'll find it somewhere even if I have to miss out on some of life's little luxuries (like sleep for instance)

I have a song idea but it might require the dreaded S word (singing), so unless anyone fancies a collab I might have to ditch it!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Mine requires singing also by gazbo (4.00 / 4) #35 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 01:49:13 AM EST
And not only can I not sing, but I have a cold.

And not only that, because of the genre of the song the vocals will have to take centre-stage rather than be buried in the mix.

:-S

well by TPD (4.00 / 1) #46 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 11:59:41 PM EST
it's highly unlikely your singing (or cold) can be any worse than mine!

plus as I found out.... singing via a crappy VOIP telephone is not the easiest thing in the world! Oh yeah and the cat ate my homework!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Heh by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #47 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 12:15:51 AM EST
I do have to admit that my mic may be a shade higher fidelity than yours.

Low fidelity mic for a low fidelity voice by TPD (4.00 / 1) #48 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 01:19:27 AM EST
No problem.... it was the phone having to double up as my listening device at the same time that made things interesting

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
ladies and gentlemen - We have a looooooooooooser by TPD (4.00 / 2) #44 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 02:55:36 PM EST
(in more ways than one), but my piss poor attempt is up on 256s website! Direct link here

I can't believe I've actually posted a MP3 of my singing onto an intarweb site. I am truely sorry!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Oh and appologies to Cam by TPD (4.00 / 2) #45 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 03:18:11 PM EST
I forgot to change the MP3 information after the last recording I made.... I in no way wanted to blame you for this monstrosity

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
AAAAAAARRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 3) #49 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 11:07:29 AM EST
Dude, that's great!!

I wonder if maybe moving the vocals down a bit in the mix and adding some reverb might make it even better.

Also, you kinda sound like an American.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

thanks Y'All by TPD (4.00 / 2) #53 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 01:59:19 PM EST
or something like that. I find lowering the vocals pretty much improves things right up to the point where they are completely absent. I far prefer the No-voice version - though I hate to ever hear my voice played back even just speaking so it's hardly a surprise.

You're probably right though I've got no real idea what I'm doing mixing wise and I've yet to play with adding effects.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

That is fucking great by cam (4.00 / 3) #51 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 01:13:31 PM EST
Do I detect a TPD style ... just about every mp3 you have done now has had lead guitar right through it, even if repetitive.

The vocals are awesome. Whatever you did to get that sound (did you say VOIP?) is brilliant.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Thanks!! At least part of that sound by TPD (4.00 / 3) #52 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 01:52:20 PM EST
is down to three nights heavy drinking of hardcore eastern european spirits to nurture a throat capable of rattling a bare whisper but not much else!

The sound is just through a blue USB phone thing (designed for VOIP use), but it's really not any different from any other Sound device beyond it's pretty low quality. Currently it's the only way I can currently convert my voice to the little Cubase spikes necessary to play it back.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Got my wife's thumbs up too by cam (4.00 / 1) #55 Sat Dec 10, 2005 at 07:23:28 AM EST
btw by repetitive, I meant repetitive licks, ie Big Country style.

Hey!

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Maybe I'm a retard but.. by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 3) #37 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 07:59:37 AM EST
I don't think I understand the contest...

Is it to perform a cover version of a Status Quo song???

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Yes, basically. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #38 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 08:06:48 AM EST
Or to do a gazbo and do a song inspired by Status Quo, or to do a cover of another song to make it sound like Status Quo.

And I had heard people wondering who Status Quo were, which is why I gave the blurb, as I didn't know if they made it big in the States, what with their mediocrity.

I've never heard of them by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #39 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 08:17:37 AM EST
But I can check napster for some examples. If I have some time this weekend I may give it a go.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Right. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #41 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 08:28:13 AM EST
Distinctive, aren't they?

Look at TE's picture below, too.

Ugh.. simply awful.. by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #42 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 08:35:43 AM EST
All the bad 80's cliches rolled into one, way too much chorus, a cheesy flanger, bad lyrics, etc. Christ, this is right up my alley.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

It seemed like a good idea at the time. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #43 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 08:43:44 AM EST
I think it'll work OK.

Heh.. okay by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #40 Thu Dec 08, 2005 at 08:22:15 AM EST
I My friend just downloaded Whatever You Want.. I-IV-V shuffle rhythm. Easy enough, I may have a go at this.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Super Happy Motivated Rock Band entry by cam (4.00 / 3) #54 Fri Dec 09, 2005 at 05:04:32 PM EST
from ssr or from 256's site.

I changed the song around a bit, 4 mins is way too long for a song, so I chopped it in half. They hung around on one chord too long to, so I doubled the pace of their verse chord changes. Also had to put in a bridge so the lead bit made sense.

But yeh, RTFO. I am happy with how this came out.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I have posted an entry by gazbo (4.00 / 3) #56 Sun Dec 11, 2005 at 09:57:08 AM EST
Usual place.  Sorry, I only realised afterwards that I'd used my usual 192kbit compression, so it's 4MB.

The verses, which are fully based around the 12 bar blues (though it tries its best to hide it) are a bit boring - should really have been 20BPM faster, but I was originally thinking of a darker electropop song that would have worked at the lower tempo.

Then I discovered it's impossible to write dark electropop over a Status Quo bassline.

I'm pleased with the chorus, though, although that's more Pet Shop Boys than the Quo.

Oh yeah by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #57 Sun Dec 11, 2005 at 10:01:53 AM EST
There was supposed to be another verse, and I was planning to add a middle eight, but frankly I thought 2:50 was plenty long enough for this contest - didn't want to bore the judges.

mns has an electropop challenger! by cam (4.00 / 1) #59 Sun Dec 11, 2005 at 05:02:48 PM EST
Excellent. I especially like the breaks where the drums stop and the keyboards play. That is neat.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Thank-you, sir by gazbo (4.00 / 3) #60 Mon Dec 12, 2005 at 02:04:30 AM EST
(sirs, in fact, to include TPD)

Yeah, I liked that bridge to the chorus.  I shall be sure to pass on my complements to Mr A. Ion and his superb arpeggiation skills.  I was quite pleased with the swell to bridge back into the second verse after chorus too.

Good contest all round - I'm really liking the entries y'all have posted.  I wonder if it's all part of an upward trend for future MFCs.

Yeh it sounds like we are all getting better by cam (4.00 / 1) #63 Mon Dec 12, 2005 at 11:56:48 AM EST
in playing, recording and production. Probably just through "doing". But now I have a style, I aint letting it go lol.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

That ROCKS!!! by TPD (4.00 / 3) #58 Sun Dec 11, 2005 at 02:24:17 PM EST
or maybe it POPS!!!!

Either way it's very cool!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

I'm in by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 3) #61 Mon Dec 12, 2005 at 04:20:39 AM EST
I've uploaded my entry.

It's loosely inspired by the only Status Quo song I've ever heard: Whatever You Want.

I just want to say, well, I poured my heart and my guts into this song, I really feel like I've bared my soul, as it were, and it's just a shame this is the aughts cause if this were the 80's I'm certain I would have a smash number on hit on my hands.

Thank you.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Wicked! by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #62 Mon Dec 12, 2005 at 04:36:23 AM EST
It's like a Paul Hardcastle remix of Caroline!

Please to be considering entry mine by The Fool (4.00 / 2) #64 Wed Dec 14, 2005 at 06:37:34 AM EST
AS SEEN ON THE FOOL'S DIARY!!! NOT SOLD IN STORES!!! OPERATORS ARE STANDING BY!!!

um by 256 (4.00 / 2) #65 Wed Dec 14, 2005 at 06:37:12 PM EST
my entry is in.

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 2) #66 Thu Dec 15, 2005 at 08:06:46 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

Good point. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #67 Fri Dec 16, 2005 at 12:46:13 AM EST
I'd forgotten that. Will do it at lunchtime.

*COUGH* by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #68 Fri Dec 16, 2005 at 07:46:21 AM EST
Sorry, just clearing my throat.

You were saying? by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #69 Fri Dec 16, 2005 at 08:17:36 AM EST
Anything in particular

It took ages to write all that up. Sorry. I was expecting to be off work today, too.