Status Quo are a moderately successful UK rock band, formed in 1962, and still performing and releasing music now. They are famous for their signature uncomplicated guitar sound, 4/4 time signature and simple bombastic lyrics. Sample lyrics are
(From Rockin' All Over The World (iTunes sample)). Further characteristic samples are Whatever You Want, Down Down and Caroline. I'm afraid non iTunes users will need to find their own samples if they need to familiarise themselves. However...
A giddy-up, a giddy-up and get away,
we're going crazy and we're going today.
Here we go rockin' all over the world.
And I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it,
I li-li-like it, li-li-like it,
here we go rockin' all over the world.
It's good easy music to play and it shouldn't need too much skill to produce something listenable. I wouldn't propose something difficult because I'm not a musician myself. Suggested ways you can take this:
- If you don't know the band: Find some of the guitar tabs and lyrics, and perform it without reference to how the band would play it.
- Take the music and make it into something it isn't. Melodic bubblegum pop, electronica, classical, a capella, whatever. Add arrangements, play it on your own best instrument.
- Cover something else in the style of Status Quo.
- Just take the music and RTFO with it.
Play early and play often. Post links to your music in this diary as soon as you upload it.
Closing date is Thursday 15th December, unless someone else wants it. Voting will close on the following Monday (19th December) to be finished for Christmas.
I think that's everything. If anyone can provide hosting, please say. I'll follow up if I locate any of my own.
What you should do right now
- Hotlist this story.
- Think up what you want to do.
|< It's just one of those things | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >|