Print Story breakin' joints in the base-ment
Hardware
By georgeha (Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:03:38 AM EST) (all tags)
I fought the leak and the leak won,
I fought the leak and the leak won

Plus alone time, deterministic Life and other pressies, faux-made Irish cream, cheap red Chinese coffee maker, venting, The Gift, and more.

Poll: Plans for NYE?

I was off Monday and Tuesday, and so decided that Monday would be the day my dad and I would fix the hot water leak in the basement. Our house is old, as is the plumbing, and many of the shutoff valves leak. This one tee that I added for the hot water line to the Harry Potter bathroom has always leaked, but for a few years I was able to seal it with rubber tape. But, it started leaking bad.

After spending an hour or two trying to break the solder joint, we figured that somewhere upstairs the cold water was trickling into the hot water lines, and trickling through the leaky shutoff valve to get into the joint I was trying to break. You don't need to be a physics genius to realize that if you're trying to melt solder with a melting point of 150 C that's being cooled by water with a boiling point of 100 C, you're going to be waiting a long, long time. In the end we cut it off and got a compression fitting.

Two out of three aint bad, except in plumbing. Two of the compression joints held, but we couldn't get the compression sleeve on the third one, the line to the Harry Potter bathroom. I even filed the inside, and cut off an inch, but no luck. In the end I went out again, bought an end cap, and sealed off the hot water to the bathroom.

Last night I had an hour to myself, so I went at it again. By this time the pipe was too short, so I tried to solder two shorter pieces together, but to no avail, the last joint always leaked. So, I capped it again, and will get a nice 8 foot section of 1/1 inch copper to try again.

we're alone, my parents took the girls last night for a trip to PA, and will return on Saturday. Sadly, I only have a half day left of vacation, so I have to work, but then Mrs. Ha does too.

The kids did well for presents. Nine year old got an Aiptek 3 megapixel teeny camera, with flip out LCD viewfinder and the ability to record sound and video. It does nearly everything a video Ipod would do, and for a heck of a lot less. She also got a doll stroller, doll clothing, some knitting looms and the Game of Life.

Boy, is that game broken. You have about ten choices in a good game, the rest of the action is spin, spin, spin. But she likes it, so I play it.

Four year old got Bitty Twins, doll clothes, a velvet painting set, some My Little Pony schwag and Marrakesh, which is still a tad old for her, but more fun than Life.

I got cologne, but I needed it and had something under our tree.

I made ersatz Irish cream the other day, since we ran out and I had a bottle of cheap Irish whiskey sitting around. Heavy cream that was almost butter, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate syrup, instant coffee, vanilla and almond extract and Irish whiskey. Mrs. Ha likes it a lot.

Our cheap red Chinese coffeemaker is indeed cheap, it feels very flimsy, but it makes a decent pot of coffee, and it's red. I'd say it's worth the $8 we paid for it.

I have started to vent online. Mrs. Ha is not in the state for me to vent for her, so I'm trying online, and if that doesn't work, I may need a therapist. We'll see.

We watched The Gift a few nights back, so far it's a meh. Part of the problem was the tape was nearly unwatchable on the $5 VCR, maybe it was the tape, but I should give it a good cleaning. It's another Southern Gothic horror/mystery movie dealing with infidelity and murder.

Right now, my bedtime reading is on Goldberry's washing day.

We have no real plans for NYE, other than getting comfy and watching the Twilight Zone marathon on the Sci-Fi channel, it's sort of a tradition. The next day we'llbe journeying east to Mrs. Ha's family celabration, at which there should be guilt over Mrs. Ha's mother's condition, though I will be suitably guarded and defensive. What are your plans?

< More Wedding Fun | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
breakin' joints in the base-ment | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Old and pathetic by Man (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:11:04 AM EST
I think our plan for New Years Eve calls for going to bed at 10 pm.

At least you can start the New Year by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:46:05 AM EST
rested and refreshed.

Sadly by Man (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:47:15 AM EST
With mono, we'll likely feel like crap anyway.

That would have been great 20 years ago by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:49:42 AM EST
the blood plasma places at school were rumored to pay $50 per donation of mono antibodies, much better than the $10 you'd get for plasma.

Really!? by Man (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:51:05 AM EST
Time to quit my job!

WIPO: by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:19:29 AM EST
Play three gigs in a row. Ugh.

Doh, forgot about the musicians in the house by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:21:34 AM EST
my bad.

Who are you playing with? by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 08:02:16 AM EST
Is this some sort of ballroom dancing thing or a real concert thing?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Los gigs musicales... by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 09:28:35 AM EST
I have two orchestra concerts for the First Night event followed by a concert with Spokane Opera. The symphony did a New Year's ballroom dancing event for the '99-'00 which was a lot of fun.

The gigs will help pay off Christmas...

WIPO by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:31:03 AM EST
I normally do laundry. But I may go to First Night except I see this is a "family event" so I may not go after all. I'll probably do the New Year's Day ride, though, even though it's pretty boring.
Qui dit que vous êtes responsable de le moment deviennent "vieux chapeau"?
There's always laundry by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:43:41 AM EST
maybe Netflix will come through, too.

Go to bed on time by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:35:27 AM EST
I may flip the calendar pages beforehand, but I might also wait until January 1.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
You know, you have a big family to look after by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:40:42 AM EST
you may want to flip that calender before you go to bed, you'd hate to be late to work.

Plumbing.. by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:35:58 AM EST
Pah. Mr. Ha, you're scaring me off our next project..

Well, our next 'inside the house' project..

Replacing the kitchen sink with something a bit nicer/better.. Will need to get new water hookups and drains.. Something on the existing parts is leaking, and the mrs doesn't like the sink anyway, do replace it all.. And the garbage disposal..

At least I hope there's no soldering necessary, just the screw type connectors (like what does from wall plate to toilet water intake).. And lots of PVC primer and glue.. We'll have to see how it all fits together, though.. The new disposal will be in a different location, but hopefully the dishwasher punchout will fit to it, and the U will have room underneath the sink. Gah.

My dad swears by the compression fittings by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:39:52 AM EST
I've heard they don't last as long as soldered connections, and they're much pricier ($4.00 vs. $0.50). I like the solder, not only because it's cheaper, but you get to play with fire, molten metal and fumes and steam, woo-hoo.

But, for a sink replacement, you may not need to run any new copper.

And PVC drainpipe is always easy to work with.

NYE: Working by duxup (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:52:51 AM EST
It is an easy holiday to work and I never do anything over NYE anyway.
____
I might think about work by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:56:47 AM EST
but it's not my week for the cell phone, so I can ignore work for the day.

I volunteered to work :O by duxup (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 08:06:35 AM EST
It’s one of those holidays at my workplace that people request to work.   I didn’t get it last year so this is my year.  I'll bring in some snacks and write some crap and maybe do my job for 5 minutes or so out of an 8 hour shift.

It is hard work, but I can take it.

____

My overnights on the hotline were like that by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #21 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 08:08:01 AM EST
be there 8 hours, answer 2 or 3 easy calls, play computer games, surf and play with Lego. If I had a way to get good sleep at home it would have been great.

Plumbing. Why does it always have to be plumbing? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 08:01:27 AM EST
I always have problems with plumbing work. My favorite was when my wife nagged asked me to put in the water line for the ice maker in the freezer. I drilled the hole in the floor, ran the (included) flexible 1/4" hose, carefully read the instructions on the little compression based t-valve thingie and installed.

But, lo, when I tightened the compression valve it crushed the copper water pipe. Why? Well, on the one sheet of printed directions it said "drill a 3/16" hole in the water pipe for the valve to enter." On the other sheet of directions I found, afterwards, it said "drill a 1/4" hole in the water pipe for the valve to enter"...

More recently a broken toilet flapper turned into a 3 day extravaganza of mopping up water and repeatedly disassembling the john, trying different arrangements of seals and re-assembling...

I have my theories by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 08:06:52 AM EST
one, water is a universal solvent, and it's darn tricky to make stuff watertight. Plus, plumbing is under pressure, and pressure changes, and thermal expansion and contraction all eventually loosen joints.

Toilets, I've had some that always were running, despite my best efforts, and in my 11 years as a home owner I've replaced three toilet seat rings, they tend to decay over time.

Water heaters, jeepers, let's not get started on those.

Plumbing... by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 08:07:36 AM EST
Heh.. I've got a great plumbing story but don't have the time to type it all up. It involves alcohol, torches, a leaky shower-head and setting fire to a wall in my first apartment.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Is McMurphy's that busy? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 08:09:09 AM EST
McMurphy sounds Catholic to me, maybe he should lighten up the workload for the holidays.

Jeepers.. by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #23 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 08:14:08 AM EST
He's hell bent on fucking up a great opportunity that we have and I'm following him around like a puppy dog, intercepting emails, routing voice-mails, forging documents, etc etc trying to save the company and whatnot. It's not what he pays me to do but someone has to step up and be a hero here.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Well then, carry on by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #24 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 08:17:37 AM EST
replace his notebook with an Etch-a-Sketch, and his phone with a walkie talkie.

WIPO: Sex by debacle (4.00 / 1) #25 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 08:31:40 AM EST
I can see how you'd miss that as a poll option, Mr Ha.

My polls are mostly relevant to me by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 08:34:21 AM EST
and teh sexoring aint likely to happen.

Bah, you have to 'work' on New Years by debacle (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 11:04:28 AM EST
A critical 'upgrade' to the 'Internet' to replace the halogen fluid in the SCSI Flux Capacitor.

now that by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #29 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 11:07:02 AM EST
my usual NYE party suspects are married or close enough to be boring, I'm not sure what I'm doing.

New Year's Day was back on September 1 by lm (2.00 / 0) #30 Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 11:48:01 AM EST
My plan is to spend Saturday working on Ye Olde House of Doom. Sunday, I may attend various family functions. What I ought to be doing is working on my top secret project as I've got a deadline approaching in Feb. Monday, I'll be helping my brother-in-law move.

Cicero, The Republic