Print Story Two Things
Media
By CheeseburgerBrown (Tue Nov 29, 2005 at 03:36:39 PM EST) rolloffle (all tags)

I have made two new things.

Thing 1

I've been known to blather on about the antics of my first child, and how I felt throughout the process of her construction and initial calibration as a human animal. These ramblings are collectively known as The Trimester Reports, and they are now available in a printed edition.

I know a lot of you have already read the reports and thus no longer care, but the book might make a nice gift for someone you know who is entering into that phase of their life now or soon.

Thing 2

I have knitted a music video for my brother's ambient electronica band Syntax Error. The video can be downloaded here for free as QuickTime or Windows Media. For you audiophiles my brother will be encoding a special DivX version with high quality audio, but it isn't online yet.

Long live rock'n'roll -- or, whatever.

< Which of these is the most wrong | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Two Things | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I love the music video. by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Nov 29, 2005 at 04:15:53 PM EST
I'm passing on the trimester thing, though. ;-)

Even if it had been raining flaming poodles, it's better than work. -- blixco

Your video makes me queasy by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Nov 29, 2005 at 04:18:36 PM EST
I think you short shocked my chakra.

I give it two thumbs up!

Cicero, The Republic
Maybe Queasy Is Genre-Appropriate by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Nov 29, 2005 at 04:29:17 PM EST
It's the visuals by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Nov 29, 2005 at 04:33:35 PM EST
I've got a cast iron stomach with regards to real life dips and twirls and twists and turns.

But make zoom and pan on a screen make me feel the need to bow in homage to the porcelain queen.

Cicero, The Republic
I think you mean 'rocked my casbah' [nt] by debacle (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Nov 30, 2005 at 12:32:00 PM EST

I LOVE STUFF! (nt) by slozo (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Nov 29, 2005 at 07:02:18 PM EST

Jesus H. by 606 (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Nov 29, 2005 at 08:18:35 PM EST
Is there anything you can't do? Oh wait, I believe we've been over this and the answer is no.

The Syntax Error video is amazing; a crowning achievement for your portfolio... if you are still interested in that line of work. The part where the mirrored explosion becomes a locomotive is particularily illuminating. Wow wow wow!

Also, tell Isoceles Cat that Syntax Error is sounding better and better as time goes on. The song in the video is really sounding professional, and there's excellent attention to the use of tension and buildup in the piece. I'm looking forward to the next album.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

Explosion Express by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Nov 30, 2005 at 04:23:01 AM EST
That's actually a nightmare image of mine based upon a Sesame Street skit in which two muppets are perplexed and frightened when they repeatedly open a door standing in the middle of nowehere which reveals a black locomotive steaming relentlessly toward them.

I think it might've been with Grover.

At any rate the juggernaut nature of the train fixed itself in my mind as a bad dream in which I cannot look away from the oncoming train -- neither eyeballs nor neck will obey instructions to turn aside.

Hence the jitters seen in the shot.

that scared you? by 606 (4.00 / 2) #10 Wed Nov 30, 2005 at 06:05:22 AM EST
I remember that skit, actually. Yeah it was Grover: 1973, Skit 286. AM lady displays her "magic doorway" painting (destroyed by Grover) Only I don't remember any fear associated with it at all. I was probably older than you when I saw it, but I think there was something about the cheap way the train was composited onto the door that I realized the muppets were not in any danger.

That said, I'm sure there are other horrors of Sesame Street buried in my subconscious. I just can't access any of them at the moment.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

My 27 Year Old Memory, Your Internet by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Nov 30, 2005 at 07:02:03 AM EST
You win! Nice.

Yeah, it just freaked me out for some reason -- the way that the event of the train smashing through seemed inevitable. I only remember feeling vaguely uneasy at the time, but the nightmare I had that night capped it for me.

I've carried it with me all these years.

It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the first ST:TNG episode featuring the Borg.

Speaking of nightmares... by 606 (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Nov 30, 2005 at 09:00:33 AM EST
I'm noticing the subliminal images now, after repeated viewings. There's a baby's face (Ingrid's?) looking up in yellow, and then there's a negative image of a face in blue later on. And of course the skulls... This is really something.

Is there a way you could send me a DVD of this? I can paypal you postage.

In case you wish to continue exploring psychedelic imagery, here's a fun toy I've been playing with: VIDVOX GridPro. It's a realtime video effects package thing, used by VJs and based on QuickTime. Basically you can play two video streams (MOV files) simultaneuously and apply realtime video effects to each stream, then you can crossfade the two streams, and finally apply realtime effects to the output stream. Amazingly it works well enough even on my slow iBook.

To work with it you really need a MIDI controller so you can map physical dials and faders onto software controls, since just using the mouse can be uncomfortable. Borrow your brother's-- the one with the 16 unlabelled dials.

The software is pretty easy to use, especially for me. I can translate my DJing skills into a visual medium. The biggest problem for me is that I don't have any source of videos to mix with, but by using raw segments from the Pan video and other similar variations of the stuff you've already created, you could probably set up a pretty amazing live video show to acompany Syntax Error. You know, if you wanted to. Try it sometime, it's pretty fun.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

Video by stark (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Nov 29, 2005 at 10:24:21 PM EST
Pretty nifty. Reminds me of the sort of thing I used to see late-night on Channel 4, but better.

My personal favourite: the light cutting through the dust explosion towards the end.
U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.

Interesting video by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Nov 30, 2005 at 04:21:53 AM EST
I think it would be better if you did something like have a hot woman in a bikini slowly walking out of a lake, or something like that.

I'm guessing it will be a big hit with the stoner and LSD crowd.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

I think by 606 (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Nov 30, 2005 at 06:07:06 AM EST
the current video will be a big hit with the stoner/LSD crowd. The bikini lady crowd is the beer drinkers.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Oh, sure. by herbert (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Nov 30, 2005 at 09:11:14 AM EST
So you sell me the first book and then you keep writing them until your daughter is 80 years old and I have to buy 20 more books at ever increasing prices just to see what happens.

I'm not falling for that one.

Cool video! by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Nov 30, 2005 at 10:54:00 AM EST
Nice blending of all those organic shapes and effects. The flying-through-tunnels scenes are reminicent of oldschool demoscene stuff, especially the camera shakes.

I am disappointed by debacle (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Nov 30, 2005 at 12:31:18 PM EST
That one of the new things isn't Michael '606' Hemming.

I realize that he is already made, and that being excreted at this point would wreck things, but you know, giggly baby photos and all.

How is the new hosting venture progressing?

+1 my cat flew out of the room... by Vertical Frankenstein (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Nov 30, 2005 at 12:36:47 PM EST
...in terror!  I, however, remained and watched the whole video.  I didn't think people who could make videos like that really existed.  Quite amazing.

Two Things | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback