Print Story Damn keyboards
Technology
By Idempotent (Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 09:08:12 AM EST) (all tags)
I have just worn out my Apple keyboard.

I obviously pound it something rotten, but after about a year and a half of use, it's gone all horrid. Some of the keys require more pressure than others, and it's just awful to type on as letters just don't come out reliably.

I have swapped over to another keyboard, and the bliss! It's wonderful.

In comparison, though. These new Apple keyboards aren't really that wonderful.

I want something like this, but with the proper ISG-fearing UK layout.

Well actually, I want one of those old-skool IBM keyboards (you know the ones, the police use them to break down the doors of terr'ists) but with a UK Apple layout.

Anyone point me at such a product? Proper mechanical keys, USB connection... anything?

< Chapter 12 - Chiggah, Niggah | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Damn keyboards | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The old fashioned by blixco (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 11:01:28 AM EST
bullet proof heavy springed IBM keyboards are all dead.

I killed them.

All of them.

I am sorry.  So, so sorry.
---------------------------------
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat

You bastard. by Idempotent (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 11:33:37 AM EST
blixco killed Kennyall the nice keyboards.

Liar! They LIVE by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 11:38:17 AM EST
Well Wikipedia claims they're still in production by another company.
Missing a key or two. by Idempotent (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 11:45:20 AM EST
As a filthy Mac user, I need Ctrl, Alt and Apple to make up for my missing mouse button.

IBM Model M's by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 11:29:32 AM EST

can be had in Scotchlandia-made Brit-style from The Keyboard Company [tried and vouched-for]. Brand new ones can be gotten from Unicomp (who use the original IBM Lexington, Kentucky plant), although they cost a fortune in postage and alternative layouts and take ages to arrive - about £75 at current exhange rates [tried and partially vouched-for]. Or you can try clicky keyboard - mostly USian, though.

Fuck Matias, Apple, Northgate and Cherry. There can be only one. :P

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
So almost... by Idempotent (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 11:42:32 AM EST
... except for the Mac layout and lack of USB connectors...

Oh well. Maybe a compromise will have to be reached. And an adaptor used.

Unicomp make them with USB connectors. by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 11:50:38 AM EST

I've played Deus Ex, Quake II, Far Cry and Freespace 2 through a PS/2 connector and never yet had a "latency problem", though.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Also: by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 12:12:36 PM EST

1: Isn't the Apple / Command key the same as Alt + Space Bar (next to each other) on a PC keyboard?

2: There must be dozens of utilities to remap a spare key (e.g. the "Windows" key) to do what you want. That's the type of thing "hackers" do for kicks at weekends.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
By all means by Herring (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 12:54:24 PM EST
have a decent keyboard. Just not a loud clicky one near me. Otherwise I will kill you.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
you know why it wore out? by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 04:45:54 PM EST
Because Apple is an American company.

There are several options by Phage (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 11:16:30 PM EST
Have a look at this article.

Damn keyboards | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback