Print Story bling bling
Marriage
By crispyduck (Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 04:09:11 AM EST) (all tags)
My fiance cooked me dinner last night.

Not a sentence I am accustomed to saying.

(a) because he very rarely cooks
(b) because he's not been my fiance for very long

No, he's not duxup although I love duxup as much as the rest of you, and as much as he loves all of us ;)

It happened in Venice, and wasn't entirely surprising as we'd been ring shopping a couple of weeks previously - it was pretty obvious he was going to ask me at some point on holiday, I just didn't know where or when.

He got down on one knee here, near San Marco square, in fact right after that picture was taken.Unbeknown to us, we were having our own photograph taken by a pair of American tourists, who afterwards approached us and offered to email us the pictures. We now have them, and they're pretty sweet, although I'm a little embarrassed.

He even asked my dad beforehand, which he says was scarier than asking me. Do a lot of guys do that? It seems so old fashioned, though not in a bad way. My dad, of course, gave his blessing and was pleased we were finally getting around to it.

The ring's real pretty - white gold with three diamonds, and ever so sparkly. Although who would have thought it was so hard to get the size right? Fingers shrink and expand all the time. It seemed like a reasonable fit when we (well, he) bought it, and when I first put it on. Then we got back from holiday, the weather was suddenly colder, and it started to fall off. I didn't want it falling down a drain or something, so I took it straight back to the shop, where I got measured properly and we agreed to take it down two sizes. I picked it up today and it seemed a little tight in the shop, but now I've had it on a while, it seems better. I'm supposed to be flashing it around later on today, as nobody else has actually seen it yet.

So I am to become Mrs dgym. Not just yet, despite the flocks of cooing female relatives eager to buy new hats. It's taken us seven and a half years to get engaged, why rush  things now? Probably in 2007, as we plan to be travelling for a good portion of next year. Apparently I'm in charge, as he's done his bit. :)

Oh yeah, and the cooking thing - it was the second night in a row, and both turned out really well. I like this...

Anyway - I have an awesome holiday to babble about, and many other thoughts re. work and future travel and other stuff... but I'll save that for later.

< Come Fly With Me | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
bling bling | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Congratulations. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 04:33:59 AM EST
Cooking with someone can really strain a relationship.

;-)

Sounds really romantic.

I proposed to my wife sitting in my room in a slum in Philadelphia.

We don't cook together by crispyduck (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 12:38:15 PM EST
It would only lead to trouble.

Fortunately our kitchen precludes this - it's long and thin and really only suited to one person at a time.

Congrats... by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 04:35:36 AM EST
If I was a woman, I would've pushed for an engagement bike.  Nothing says 'I love you' like custom Titanium Seven or Merlin with Campy Record 10 Carbon.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
IAWTP by calla (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 07:27:29 AM EST
except how could you give a bike to a gal who owns seven?

"However, for this current diary to be genuine would have obliged her to read my Sam's Teach Yourself Unix Adminstration in 24 Hours, which is both disturbing and super erotic." Rogerborg
Only four actually by crispyduck (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 12:36:35 PM EST
(plus one frame, and one unicycle)

I would always be glad of another one, especially one made of carbon fibre. It's never a problem :)

you've lost a few? by calla (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 12:39:17 PM EST
I remember a pic of a whole mess o' bikes.

Bikes by crispyduck (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 12:43:06 PM EST
This is my fleet. Although if you count dgym's bikes (what's his is mine now ;) and my unicycle, that makes seven.

I'd seen a different pic before. by calla (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 12:49:22 PM EST
but I agree with you - there's always room for something titanium.

Your recumbent hasn't got any wheels. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #22 Tue Nov 15, 2005 at 01:07:45 AM EST
Oh wait, it's a garden chair.

Congratulations. I go away for a long weekend and not only is there a Crispyduck diary, but you've gone and got engaged.

Funnily enough by crispyduck (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 12:40:52 PM EST
After the ring shop, we took a quick trip to the bikeshop where we ended up ogling some pretty sweet Isaac carbon frames. My request for "please take back that lump of carbon and buy me this one instead" was well-taken, but fruitless.

Congrats! by ana (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 05:01:13 AM EST
Ring sizes are funny things. I still use soap to get mine off, which I have to do at night, or my finger breaks out under it. I guess I'm mildly allergic to white gold (whatever that is, really; a rhodium alloy, the 'net tells me) or something. I've also coated the inside of the ring with clear nail polish, which helped some.

Even if it had been raining flaming poodles, it's better than work. -- blixco

Woo by pinkcress (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 07:08:33 AM EST
Congratulations! Does the Brompton get to be best man?

Or maybe it'd look better in a dress..

brommie by crispyduck (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 12:46:16 PM EST
I almost bought him a bow-tie recently. (My Brommie's definitely male, and not predisposed towards womens' attire)

AHOY! by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 10:54:17 AM EST
Congratulations, slee Crispy!

And what did you get *him*? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #7 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 11:10:36 AM EST
Use diagrams if necessary.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Congratulations! by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #15 Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 05:07:31 PM EST
Where are you registered for wedding gifts?

wedding gifts by crispyduck (4.00 / 1) #16 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 12:44:38 AM EST
Here would be a good start ;)

Congratulations by hulver (4.00 / 2) #17 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 02:37:33 AM EST
To you and the future Mr. Duck.

Me and J will have been engaged 10 years next March, so no need to rush :)
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

OMG - YEA! by greenfish (4.00 / 1) #18 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 07:13:43 AM EST
I'm so excited for you!  That sounds so romantic, eee.  I want to see pictures of your ring.... mine is white gold with four small bands of yellow gold & three diamonds as well.  :)

And men cooking?  That's a good thing.  (Martha!)

I wish I could get Wes to cook more often.  :P

Anyway, congratulations!!!!  Being married is great!

Congratulations! by Tonatiuh (4.00 / 1) #19 Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 01:00:45 PM EST
Nothing beats old fashioned when it is the right thing to do.

Congratulations! by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #20 Mon Nov 14, 2005 at 12:25:59 AM EST
NT

I echo the congratulations... by leviramsey (4.00 / 1) #21 Mon Nov 14, 2005 at 06:34:37 AM EST

My stance re: asking the parent(s) is that it's probably best to, if only to make them feel some kind of part of the process, in case such a thing is important to them. Otherwise, there could be some level of resentment on their part which surfaces later...

Could I be the next Lee Abrams?
Congratulations! by spiralx (4.00 / 1) #23 Tue Nov 15, 2005 at 01:10:03 AM EST
Although it's a year off until I think about that sort of thing, I've also wondered whether the "ask the dad" thing is a good idea or not. Well, at the least he like me :)

*hug* by duxup (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Dec 15, 2005 at 01:22:53 PM EST