Print Story I miss my cubicle
By aric17103 (Wed Oct 05, 2005 at 05:16:32 AM EST) (all tags)
I now share a large room with ten other people...not so much an 'open office', there are a few walls but nothing that gives any amount of privacy....

Add to the lack of privacy the fact I am a new employee and have very little to do, meaning most of my time at 'work' is spent idle.  I am transitioning from a programmer to a Sys Admin so there is plenty of reading for me but one can only ingest so much technical reading a day...so most of my day is spent surfing the internet.  Surfing the net with nine people (plus anyone who walks in) looking over your shoulder would make me self conscious were it not for the fact I am a state employee (short of gross misconduct I am here to stay) and I am not the only person with nothing to do....the coworker right next to me sleeps after lunch!  Literally leans back in her chair and goes to sleep.  Despite all that I still find myself in the old cube habit of keeping a 'work' window open to quickly click on when I think someone is paying attention to me....

Things I miss about a cubicle:

• white board - no room for one...I miss drawing out ideas and just doodling
  • space - my own space, with a mini-frig, a small fish tank, room for my Lego's, a bonsai tree and a place to make a collage of pictures from home (I am not allowed to use thumb tacks of the permanent walls here I was told)
  • cubicle as an office - sounds contradictory but when I sat is a cubicle I felt comfortable spreading out my books (when I was still a student) and balancing my check book or any other paperwork from home...I don't do that anymore since it would be obvious I am not 'working'
  • cubicle clicks - with cubicles there is a place to hang out with your work friends, no matter how crowded, people would still jam into a cubicle to bullshit with there coworkers....without walls everyone is in the conversation
< Sometimes it's easier. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I miss my cubicle | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
No room for Lego? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Oct 05, 2005 at 05:18:21 AM EST
That's criminal I tell you, though to be honest, I need to rehang a few of my Lego planes.

Don't forget cubicle pranks by joh3n (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Oct 05, 2005 at 05:28:59 AM EST
Such as filling the entire cubicle with packing peanuts, or angry bears, depending on your liking.

----

Best. Sig. Evar. [nt] by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Oct 05, 2005 at 05:29:49 AM EST
T-REX!
Woo! High fives all around! by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Oct 05, 2005 at 05:43:55 AM EST

----

MOTHERFUCKER! I'LL EAT YOUR SOUL. by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Oct 05, 2005 at 05:41:34 AM EST
If I read one more diary (after this first one) about a code monkey switching to being a sysadmin monkey then I may do something rash.  Most likely writing to the BBC to complain about things in general.  I'm not joking, I'll do it.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I had no choice! by aric17103 (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Oct 05, 2005 at 06:15:08 AM EST
I moved from the DC area (where tech jobs are abundant) to Pennsylvania (Harriburg) where the tech job pickings are slim...all the programmer jobs here seem to be filled by hard working, talented people from India....I took what I could get

What part of DCia? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Oct 05, 2005 at 06:29:42 AM EST
And why move to Pennsyltucky?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

st. marys county by aric17103 (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Oct 05, 2005 at 09:44:43 AM EST
the sticks I know but there is a large military base there and plenty more work if you are willing to commute an hour north....I moved to PA after hurricane Isabel wreck my house (and I have family here)

It could be worse by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Oct 05, 2005 at 06:38:04 AM EST
you could be trained as a programmer and answering 411 calls a little further northwest.

This poll deserves to be on the front page by gpig (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Oct 05, 2005 at 06:49:31 AM EST
Yes it does.
(,   ,') -- eep
s/clicks/cliques by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Oct 06, 2005 at 06:40:39 PM EST

I miss my cubicle | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback