Print Story Of course it's a return, you muppet
Travel
By stark (Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 12:06:10 AM EST) films, movies, review, australia, pistachio, heat, inkscape (all tags)
From today's Metro:

"In the Darkness's new song, Justin Hawkins sings that he's go 'a one-way ticket to hell and back'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a return, isn't it?"

-- Steve Ainger London SE23

Mr Ainger: the wooshing sound you heard this morning was the point missing you at high speed. Unless you think the Darkness is a serious rock band?

Inside: Pistacios, Australia, Heat, Vector Graphics

Australia
The big holiday of this year is fast approaching: tomorrow I will be on a flight to Australia, where I will be not doing any work for at least three weeks. Hurrah!

We're flying to Sydney (via Kuala Lumpur for a few hours), where we're staying at the Wake Up! Hostel (exclamation mark required, apparently) for four nights. After that, we hire a car and start driving south down the coastline, calling at some, all, or none of the following locations:

• Kiama
  • Great Ocean Road
  • Port Fairy
  • Adelaide
  • Kangeroo Island
  • Grampians National Park
  • Blue Mountains
On the return to Sydney we're having a night at the Intercontinental, to make up for staying in mud huts the rest of the way around.

Any feedback on these choices or anything else that is essential viewing between Sydney and Adelaide will probably be ignored, but hey, feel free to persuade me otherwise. If you're all really lucky I may be able to find the time to type up the odd travel diary on the way! Woo!

Pistachios
It turns out that if you microwave these little blighters they create a smell that is identical to popcorn, which confused lots of people in my office yesterday.

Watching
Watched Heat the other day; it's a good mixture of moral ambiguity, action and tension as the LAPD go after a gang of thieves led by Neil McCauley (Robert De Niro). It's a clever script and there's some great scenes; I particularly liked the diner scene when the head of the LAPD's team, Vincent Hanna (Al Pacino), discusses with Neil McCauley how they would take each other down without hesitation, despite a growing respect for each other - also when he figures out why the criminal gang was in an urban wasteland pointing at potential targets - so that the LAPD would go to where they were standing, allowing the gang to figure out who was hunting them - very neat.

Vector graphics
The combination of potrace and Inkscape makes it easy to convert crappy bitmaps into rather nice vector graphics. Specifically, turning the logo at the top of this page into this picture didn't take too long, and I'm quite impressed with the result.

Also interesting to see that Xara (a product I used to use on the old Acorn RISC machines, back when it was ArtWorks) is being open-sourced.

< More stuff | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Of course it's a return, you muppet | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Xara was never Artworks. by Idempotent (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 12:22:50 AM EST
Completely different thing. One's written in ARM assembly language, the other C++. Same team though.

So... by stark (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 12:39:33 AM EST
Same team, functionally identical product (vector-based graphics program), different implementation.

Xara == Artworks ported to a different environment and given a different name.

Honestly, some people are so picky...
U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.

You see, there you go again. by Idempotent (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 01:07:57 AM EST
It's not a port if you rewrite everything.

Even if it were rewritten on a stormy night? [nt] by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 01:08:59 AM EST

Perhaps not in that case. /nt by Idempotent (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 01:12:13 AM EST

Australia by Phage (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 02:53:12 AM EST
There's so much to see that any advice is beside the point really. You have all the nice towns on the Ocean Road listed so you can't go far wrong. If you seriously need advice, I'd be happy to help out.

Excellent by stark (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 02:59:41 AM EST
The "you have all the nice towns listed" comment is the main point of this diary, to sanity-check what I've come up with by browsing guidebooks. Exactly what I was hoping someone would say.

Thanks very much!

NP by Phage (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 03:22:58 AM EST
Melbourne and Sydney are great places. In Melbourne (if not raining) you should eat out somewhere in Lygon Street.
In Sydney I'd recommend taking a water taxi from Circular Quay to Doyles at Watsons Bay, and having the seafood platter.

Lygon Street is a favourite of mine too by cam (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 03:56:26 AM EST
St Kilda and South Melbourne are worth a tram trip and walk along the bay too.

Me and Stark must be brothers, I jump on the plane for Au TONIGHT!

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

So long as you're not holding hands by Phage (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 03:59:24 AM EST

Have a good flight by stark (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 06:54:00 AM EST
I imagine you're more used to the idea of flying for nearly a day; I'm really not looking forward to it...

Oh, and say hi to Mom for me.

No I am not used to 20 hours of flying time by cam (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 08:09:58 AM EST
Dont think I even will be. The last six hours are the worst, I get ants in my pants. I can understand why kids go bonkas.

When we went to Germany it was an eight hour flight, my wife and I thought it went pretty quick. So I guess I tolerance for long flight has been stretched.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I am no fan of this band. by black symposium (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 08:03:10 AM EST
But the lyrics indicate that perhaps the train (or plane, or car... or whatever it is you take to hell) simply arrives in hell and then, without actually stopping  in hell, returns.

Then again, maybe the lyrics have to do with having to hear the song time and time again.