Print Story More stuff
By Herring (Tue Oct 25, 2005 at 11:42:06 PM EST) (all tags)
And many things

So, now I am allegedly qualified to drive power boats towing skiers or wakeboarders. There's excitement. It was all pretty easy actually - although I did drive a fairly poor start for the guy on the wakeskate.

One of the people taking the thing was from Latvia. Riga to be more precise. When he came out to ride, he was wearing a baggy drysuit and this freaky yellow helmet with a visor. Overall, quite a nice cheap-British Sci-Fi look.

Had the chimney swept yesterday. Apparently there is some sort fo blockage near the top. I knew that it needed a cowel on it (preferably Simon with a really hot fire) but I never round to it. The sweep was talking of £300 to get up on the roof, sort out whatever the blockage is and fit proper stuff on the top. I am thinking that I may just borrow a set of ladders from some guys I know who do roofing and do it myself. The job itself doesn't look to hard - a bit of cementing. The one thing to remember about working on the roof is not to have an emu puppet on your hand.

Also, a set of chimney brushes might be a good investment. £55 fucking quid to sweep the chimney? Bollocks to that. Small Boy is too large to fit up it - I've tried.

Will is in Florida at the moment. The less priviledged of us may have to put up with a bit of rain and freezing our arses off in cold water, but at least we don't get that sort of weather.

Off to see the parents tomorrow for a few days. When I get back, I must sort out some sort of job. Selling my Crap Corp shares also needs more work. They can't just post me a cheque, it has to be complicated.

Heh. Mrs. H. has given in to pleading and is taking Stepdaughter to see My Chemical Romance. I am not familiar with their work, but SD seems quite keen.

Reading the Satanic Verses at the moment. Not liking it so much as Midnight's Children. We shall see.

Thanks to all those who submitted stuff on contracting. It seems like an option worth considering since I can't make up my mind. I may have to cover up the fact that I haven't done C++ in anger for a few years, but I'm sure it'll come back.

It's my birthday on Monday. Buy me something nice.

< Eightfold path | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
More stuff | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Satanic Verses by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 12:43:11 AM EST
Finished reading that about a month ago. Haven't gotten around to a write up yet though. Wasn't quite the book I expected, not having read any Rushdie before.

Small Boy by nebbish (4.00 / 3) #2 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 01:08:14 AM EST
You have to starve them a bit first.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Roofing sucks by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #3 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 03:54:08 AM EST
I've done a bit of it. There's about a month in spring and one in fall when it's great weather for it, temperature-wise. Otherwise it's too cold or too hot.

You'd be surprised how much more wind there is 20 feet up than on the ground.

Hauling supplies up the ladder can be tough.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yep by Herring (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 04:21:36 AM EST
We're pretty exposed here as well.

Still, I have rope, a bucket and mindless optimism. Maybe a few beers for courage first ...

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Very Bad Idea by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 04:32:38 AM EST
Anything that affects your balance is a bad idea when climbing ladders, especially one handed, or when standing on sloped surfaces.

A 20-30 foot fall is survivable, and can be done without (serious) injury if you know how, but is not fun.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I may have been joking [n/t] by Herring (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 04:55:07 AM EST

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
IAWTP by Phage (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 04:41:56 AM EST
Roofing with iron in an Australian Spring. You wore long socks tied around your knees as insulation. Never again.

OH NOES, YOUR STEPDAUGHTER IS EMO by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 4) #4 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 04:13:58 AM EST

It may start off with My Chemical Romance, and next thing you know, she's off to see Saves the Day. Then it'll be Dashboard Confessionals. Then A New Found Glory. Then, one day, she'll discover your secret stash of Smiths records, and it'll all be over, as she realizes it's all been done before.

I've seen it happen.

Stop me stooohoohop Stop meeeeee by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 05:04:04 AM EST
I HAVE HEARD THIS ONE BEFORE DAMMIT.

----

heh by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 05:42:55 AM EST
I am trying to get Upstairs Girl off of Dashboard Confessional. I consider this a positive karma building exercise.

Point her at Reggie and the Full Effect by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 05:44:00 AM EST

At least they're funny and self-aware...

Will do by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 05:55:07 AM EST
I figured for a start she could get into postal service, as they are teh depressed about love.

Death Cab might be a closer crossover by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 06:25:20 AM EST

then you could move her to GRANDADDY! Er, Postal Service, then electronic stuff, then GRANDADDY! As long as you keep converting people, all is well.

More stuff | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback