Print Story Arcade Date
Games
By tps12 (Sun Oct 23, 2005 at 11:04:59 AM EST) pinball, date (all tags)
So a couple weeks ago our local bar got a pinball table that has been perpetually beset by problems but still rules.

Since then, a few friends and I have been sort of into the game, discussing rules and strategy, hanging out at the car service to play the only other table in the neighborhood, playing emulators, patronizing venues in the city specifically because they have pinball, having endless iterations of the what-toys-would-your-dream-table-have discussion (a water feature), and just generally obsessing.

Last night I took this nerdiness to a new level and took my girlfriend on an arcade date. It was sort of an accident—I wanted to check out the only place that had popped up as having pinball in the area, and she decided to come along—but as we walked in, she said she felt like she was on a date in middle school. Sure enough, about half the people there were in couples (though not middle school age ones). What can you do.

But we did get to play some good pinball, and also tried DDR for the first time and played one of those games where you hold a gun in one hand and feed a constant stream of quarters into the machine with your other hand. And had some beers and such and it was good fun.

< Strength and Curse | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Arcade Date | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I think that would be really fun. by edward (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Oct 23, 2005 at 12:43:00 PM EST
I always walk by the UBC Student Union Building arcade when I have to go into the building to get bus change on Tuesdays.

Every time, I think that it would be a fun date venue. Now I just need to find someone to go on a date with. How do I do that?!?!?1

Admit that you're gay by debacle (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Oct 23, 2005 at 01:06:06 PM EST
And accept your sexuality.

And change your damned .sig. It makes you seem like you almost might be some sort of penis-enabled man.

Homophobic comment (nt) by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Oct 24, 2005 at 03:51:28 AM EST

OHNOES!!!SOMEONECALLPETA!!!one!!!eleven!!! by debacle (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Oct 24, 2005 at 06:42:33 AM EST
[nt]

Pinball does rule by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Oct 23, 2005 at 03:47:21 PM EST
My middle/high school friend's family had a video store and later an "arcade" with a few pinball games. The ripoff franchise dudes always set the feet so that it was almost impossible to play but we still had a great time. FYI.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
whoa by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Oct 24, 2005 at 04:09:04 AM EST
I would have thought screwing with the feet would mess up the tilt sensor.

No and why by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Oct 24, 2005 at 04:15:46 AM EST
I didn't mean to imply that we changed the feet. Just that the company that owned the machine would crank the adjustable back feet up a couple inches, which makes the game a lot harder.

But the tilt sensors (at least in the machines we played) were pretty insensitive clods. Y-axis motion (X would be left-right, Z would be vertical) didn't seem to phase them at all, for instance. Certainly the N inches of wiggle room from the feet wouldn't set them off.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

that makes sense by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Oct 24, 2005 at 04:22:09 AM EST
They'd probably have to turn down Y-axis sensitivity for it to work. Or maybe I am being stupid in picturing how the sensors are set up.

Guess: by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Oct 24, 2005 at 04:28:58 AM EST
A little puddle of mercury with wires in a criss-cross pattern. And you are probably right that they'd have to move the Y-axis wires pretty far away to allow height adjustment. In fact, that's probably why we could hit it so hard in the Y direction--we were essentially pushing the mercury uphill. No wait, Newton's First Law would mean we were pushing it downhill....I have no idea why we could do that.

Well, here's how it works (much more envirohippie-friendly than my design) but doesn't change the physics of the situation nor explain how we got away with really shoving the machine around.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

now that i think about it by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Oct 24, 2005 at 05:28:00 AM EST
The ring in the diagram is probably pretty wide, and the pendulum moves a lot...so it's not that important whether it's centered when the machine is at rest.

I have a memory of getting a high score by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Oct 24, 2005 at 01:46:05 AM EST
on a pinball table recently and being elated, but I can't remember where. The only place where I know there is one is in the ferry terminal going over to Dublin (hence my travel by surface methods rather than air), but last time I went, it was out of order. Hmmm, well, I'll try and remember. I love pinball.

I went on a pinball pub crawl once. It was excellent, but we couldn't find many venues, and only did two or three pubs plus the easy internet cafe in the middle of town.

pinball pub crawl by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Oct 24, 2005 at 04:20:04 AM EST
It could work in a few areas around here, but might be hard to avoid repeats...a few games are very common.

That is the problem. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Oct 24, 2005 at 04:45:16 AM EST
Like I said, we only found a few venues, but we looked in all the venues we thought would be likely, and stayed for a drink. It was more of a standard boozy night out, but with a target, which is important, I think.

"The Fun House" by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Oct 24, 2005 at 02:50:01 AM EST
College Inn Pub, Seattle (university district).

Best drunken pinball game ever!

----