Print Story Must Stop Getting So Drunk
By jump the ladder (Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 12:33:09 AM EST) (all tags)
On Thursday nights as it totally screws up Fridays as I get an all day hangover which makes me want to stay in on Friday nights. Still found the perfect City cattle market which is a rich pulling target environment. Shame the person I was with was such a wuss and decided to go home just as I was getting into my stride. Can't do these things on my own.

Poll: are you an urban or country person?

The Weekend

Reconquered the Roman Empire playing Rome TW: Barbarian Invasion on Friday night and then I went with my bro to watch Roman's latter day Empire, Chelsea, stuff Bolton 5-1. Second half performance of the year. Definitely a touch of the invincibles there. Went for a few beers in Chelsea after along with my other brother. Plenty of posh totty around but no bites on that day.

Work

I've gone from being virtually unmanaged to being micromanaged in the space of a couple of weeks. The project I'm working on is a work-flow metrics app for senior management so is very high profile and hence I'm under quite a bit of pressure to deliver stuff. But then it's good that my job is being noticed and makes me more invulnerable to any cost cutting like what they did to me last year here.

Politics

David Cameron is only a few years older than me so we're reaching the stage where the rave generation starts getting into positions of responsibility. Recreational drug taking in the UK as a social norm really took off in the late 80s so even more than the 60s generation, a lot of people took a lot of drugs. So the continual media (hypocritical) questioning of Cameron about his past is going to happen more and more. And it's going to be harder for the 'all drugs are evil' line to maintained if apparently well adjusted people took lots of drugs but still managed to hold down jobs etc. Sooner or later we'll wake up and smell the coffee.

< Slow Train Coming | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Must Stop Getting So Drunk | 45 comments (45 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
cattle market by Idempotent (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 12:56:12 AM EST

Aren't you supposed to be shagging a stripper or something?

Yeah by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 12:58:53 AM EST
But she's away and it's not exclusive (yet).

Young people these days... by Idempotent (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 01:01:30 AM EST
... and their weird relationships...

I trust you're being careful not to catch anything, ticks or otherwise.

Well by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 01:11:24 AM EST
I might be good at ice breaking at pubs and clubs but I'm not that good at 'deal' closing so there's not much danger of that from my side.

Do you enjoy the chase then? by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 01:42:30 AM EST
I can't stand going out on the pull, does my head in on so many levels.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Yes by jump the ladder (4.00 / 3) #11 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 01:44:04 AM EST
Now I do to be honest. Not so desperate now so I'm much more relaxed.

I get bored by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 02:23:51 AM EST
It all follows the same routines and rituals, I find it hard to suspend my disbelief. I suppose if you're relaxed about it it'd be more fun though.

Meeting girls socially, friends of friends or whatever, is a different matter altogether. Like you say, more relaxed.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Interesting. by Idempotent (4.00 / 6) #12 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 01:44:09 AM EST
So she's out shagging around, confident that you'll be as chaste as always when she gets back?

When's she going to Spain with the children?

Cynic (n/t) by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #30 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 04:00:49 AM EST

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
Well hello, sailor. by Idempotent (2.00 / 0) #34 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 04:15:51 AM EST
How's things going?

Can't talk, deadlines will get me by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #40 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 04:48:37 AM EST
I have loads to diarise about, but I'm up to my eyeballs in stuff at work and at home. I must make time, but it's such a rare commodity at the moment...

Apart from that, I'm pretty good.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

Never mind. by Idempotent (2.00 / 0) #41 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 04:56:46 AM EST
It was a rhetorical question anyway.

Thursday night is the new Friday night by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 01:14:06 AM EST
My weekends nowadays: go out Thursday big time, get smashed, bed about 3am. Feel like a zombie at work on Friday but it's OK cos it's a Friday, go to the cinema or for a meal something in the evening, stay up late reading, and - this is the reason for all this - feel fresh as a daisy on Saturday and go out and do stuff rather than lying in bed with a hangover.

You're spot on about the drugs thing, change soon come.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Yah by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 01:17:27 AM EST
The only problem that it takes me longer to recover as I get older. I'm still tired on saturdays even if I have a quiet Friday night.

WIPO by Phage (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 01:39:56 AM EST
Country - Country.

Whoops by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 01:41:10 AM EST
Should been the fourth poll option.

WIPO: by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 01:42:50 AM EST
Bit of both.

WIPO: why you gots to h8 us sub-urbanites? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 01:56:54 AM EST
Just because we live in your sewers doesn't make us less human.  It's the extra fingers that make us less human.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Suburbia by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 02:27:58 AM EST
I aspire to a nice a 'thirties semi within a quiet drive of a decent gardening centre. Serious.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Scarily by Phage (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 02:34:13 AM EST
I have a turn-of-the last-century semi, with several garden centres in easy reach.

Luckily the nearest Ikea is several hours away.

There's nothing wrong with living near IKEA. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 02:44:58 AM EST
In a 30's semi.

I think I'll go there tonight, in fact.

What is a 30s semi? by cam (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 02:50:09 AM EST
A car with a hemispherical combustion chamber by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #24 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 02:52:08 AM EST
that does the quarter mile in 30 seconds. You've got three, haven't you.

Or maybe you were right the first time.

Yeah by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 02:58:54 AM EST
First google image. UK is covered in them. Once seen as a bit crap but people are coming round to them again, esp if they have the original 30s fittings.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Suburbia is good by cam (4.00 / 1) #23 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 02:51:28 AM EST
Decent houses, good neighbourhoods and the businesses cluster around you because suburbia is relatively homogenous in its wealth.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Also better schools by Phage (4.00 / 1) #27 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 03:28:15 AM EST
NB Exceptions to the above rule include Milton Keynes and Canberra

Sub urban by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 02:59:45 AM EST
= lower density urban.

You're still a townie...

Then how are you definining rural? by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #32 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 04:10:45 AM EST
Village?  Isolated farmhouse on a windswept moor?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Do you live in a town? by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #33 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 04:12:39 AM EST
Then you're urban.

That's not what I asked by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #39 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 04:37:38 AM EST
Don't go all DailyKo5 on me.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
WIPO by DullTrev (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 02:04:29 AM EST

Recluse. And I'm not telling you where I live, in case someone visits.

DFJ?
Either that or you're ashamed of it. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 02:19:19 AM EST
Your town is so insignificant that even its STD code is higher than my own insignificant town. Also, you're scared me and black symposium will converge on you for a meet up, what with you living 3 junctions up the motorway from where I work.

Time for some internet sleuthing, methinks.

Dammit. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 02:21:15 AM EST
Forgot to point out that this is by some way my most autistic comment of the month. Normal service will be resumed, well, when I can be arsed being mnormal and I'm not permanently knackered.

Someone choose me a cheap comfortable bed from the IKEA website. Oh, there's another thing our crappy towns have in common, IKEA.

Oh hell by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #35 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 04:20:39 AM EST

You all know I live in Warrington anyway. But it's a big enough place for me to hide in.

Feel free to descend on Warrington. I won't be there, but, you know, feel free.

DFJ?
I didn't know you were a property owner. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #36 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 04:25:41 AM EST
That'd be why you want us to descend on Warrington, drink the town dry, raise pub revenue, cause investment and make the town look nicer.

Anyway, did you read the entire article I linked to? Did you? If you didn't, you might get your name changed to MildlyInterestingTrev.

I'm afraid I didn't even click the link by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #37 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 04:34:25 AM EST

Because I think I've read it before.

DFJ?
If you were truly dull, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #45 Wed Oct 19, 2005 at 06:24:48 AM EST
you'd read it again anyway.

Also, you'd spend all day trying to think up a witty reply and only come up with this.

Rome:: Total War by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 02:47:42 AM EST
Have been extensively playing this recently (due to limited action on other fronts!) and finding easy to win on v.hard settings, provided I win the first few battles.

If you're finding it easy/ boring, there's some add-on packs which are meant to make the AI fight a little harder (try Darth Mods), in different periods (e.g/ Chivalry) and even a Rome::TotalRealism pack to make the game more historically accurate.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
RTW by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 03:46:24 AM EST
The game is great for modders. Loking forward to a total realism mod for Barbarian Invasion as it's my favourite bit of history.

Got any Cameroons? by priestess (4.00 / 2) #29 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 03:52:35 AM EST
I wish I thought you were right about the drugs thing, but Cameroon's just a big a daily-maily apeaser as everybody else in his crappy party. There'll just be more politicans saying "I made mistakes" and continuing to punish current 18 year olds with jail sentences and career-destroying punishments for exactly those same mistakes.

Hope you're right though.

Pre..........
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

Heh by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #31 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 04:06:52 AM EST
I'm sure a lot of the Daily Mail hacks doing the 'drugs are evil' stories aren't adverse to a bit of charlie themselves.

But sonner or later the disconnect between public statements and private reality is going to get too much.

I'm sure they do too by priestess (2.00 / 0) #38 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 04:36:39 AM EST
Robbie Williams noted it, saying he'd done coke with the people writing coke stories about Kate Moss. Poor old Kate, she made the mistake of pissing off the Mirror.

Sooner Or Later is the key phrase here. People have been saying it, one way or another, for at least twenty years, probably more like fourty.

So I tend to assume it'll be later. A week might be a long time in politics, but it still takes a fucking age for 'em to actually do anything, and the public are just a herd of frightened dunces.

Pre.........
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

Don't underestimate the public! by dmg (2.00 / 0) #43 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 11:34:29 AM EST
They are not all sheep..
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I nearly appeared as Cameroon on my green card by cam (2.00 / 0) #42 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 05:26:51 AM EST
Cameron got spelt wrong. Oops. It was discovered and corrected at the last moment. Fortunately.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Smell the coffee? by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #44 Tue Oct 18, 2005 at 11:37:42 AM EST
Only coffee?

There are many other substances there to be smelt!

Coffee? Bah!