Print Story Some days, average columnists...
By Metatone (Sat Jan 15, 2005 at 10:26:21 PM EST) (all tags)
writing average columns come up with little phrases that brighten Sunday morning.

e.g.

From here:

Harry has been engulfed by this tide of self-righteousness, swollen by those who have the Daily Mail where their hearts should be and who, if they were honest, have enjoyed every moment of the story, even while condemning the prince.

I just like the phrase "those who have the Daily Mail where their hearts should be"

Another boring quote inside:

Mary Riddell has a couple of good phrases too:

This asceticism sits strangely with New Labour's alcohol policy, which appears to have been devised in the Pig and Pineapple over several gallons of Malibu.

and

And, even if they were, the continental culture to which the government aspires is tarnished by reports that European drinking patterns can be pretty lethal too. Jean-Paul Sartre, sipping his whisky in a Paris cafe, may have been a proto-chav.

I think that the question of longer opening hours is quite a complex one. As I was at the bus stop last night after watching the Steelers-Jets game (a game full of ineptitude resluting in quite a dramatic finale) I had a great view of the downsides of UK city centre drinking. A bunch of lads engaging in a fight with the bouncers of Bar Risa. By the time the police turned up the group had moved on, although not fast enough. Besides the police found following the trail of blood easy.

Obviously I am predisposed to dismiss this problem because I want some places in this miserable city to open longer. I hate living in a city that shuts down so early. I guess I am just a nightowl at heart.

< Please help. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Some days, average columnists... | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Also from Mary Riddell by OAB (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Jan 16, 2005 at 12:15:29 AM EST
So is the volte-face by Michael Howard, who homed in on government discomfiture like a dipsomaniac falling on a can of Tennent's.

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Jan 16, 2005 at 12:31:55 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

I agree about the aftershock by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Jan 16, 2005 at 07:14:45 AM EST
period and the danger of a backlash.

The difficult question is quite why the UKians are such champion disorderly drinkers. I lived in Germany and they can certainly drink, but they don't seem to get quite so venemous. Equally, in my gut I do feel there is a connection between the atomised state of British life and the sheer oblivion seeking of a lot of the youngsters around me in my new uni environment...

What do you think?

The fighting culture by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Jan 16, 2005 at 07:39:36 AM EST
I don't think there's a culture that celebrates random acts of non fatal violence quite as much as England's. People really do go out here with the intention of having a load of beers, a kebab and a fight.

I suspect by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 3) #6 Sun Jan 16, 2005 at 07:56:18 AM EST
Even if all the alcohol in Britain turned into water overnight, they'd still go out for a load of coffees, a kebab and a fight...
That's why by jump the ladder (4.00 / 3) #7 Sun Jan 16, 2005 at 08:06:35 AM EST
I think that the licensing hours should be changed. It won't change things for the good or the ill in the long term but I resent having to be told to go home at 11PM for my own good.

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Jan 16, 2005 at 08:53:10 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

I really doubt it will develop into by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Jan 16, 2005 at 07:19:38 AM EST
A med style drinking culture. A med style drinking culture is one where you lose face if you appear to be drunk and there's a horror of losing control. You can drink but it's more about posing around when you go out.

Whereas as here, it's badge of honour to get fucked out of your mind on the weekend on either drink or drugs and controlled drinking is looked down upon.

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Jan 16, 2005 at 08:40:34 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

But is that true by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jan 17, 2005 at 01:22:08 AM EST
All of the commentary suggests that people drink faster because they know the pub is closing at 11pm. Is that true? How do we know? Just because it's not the case in the med when the bars stay open later disregards all other cultural factors.

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Jan 17, 2005 at 01:51:55 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

Which city by snugglebunny (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Jan 16, 2005 at 08:27:04 AM EST

You've described most of the UK.

Leeds... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Jan 16, 2005 at 08:35:29 AM EST
Never mind getting a drink, just finding somewhere to go out of the rain and sit down after a certain time is a ridiculous challenge...