Print Story MBA Programs
By Carnage4Life (Thu Sep 09, 2004 at 01:06:33 AM EST) (all tags)
I finally found my password for HuSi so I guess I can start keeping a diary here. Let's see how this goes.

I've been thinking of getting a part time MBA to round myself out career wise and also prepare myself for if or when I want to start my own business/go into consulting. However lots of folks at work have told me MBAs are only good for making connections and a decent self study can learn all that crap on his own.

What do you guys think?

< Am I bored.. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
MBA Programs | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
MBA by hulver (6.00 / 2) #1 Thu Sep 09, 2004 at 01:20:07 AM EST
When ever I think of MBA's, I think of someone's sig I used to see a lot.

MBA's, Can't live with them, can't legally torture them to death

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Good to see you here. by ambrosen (3.00 / 0) #2 Thu Sep 09, 2004 at 01:22:54 AM EST
I can't advise on MBAs, though. I thought you were still knee deep in XML and not likely to split out into consulting for a while. I've known one or two people do them, but they had different ambitions than me, so I can't say what's suitable.

Anyway, god to see you. I see occasional references to your work. Looks interesting.

A

Sorry by Phage (6.00 / 1) #3 Thu Sep 09, 2004 at 01:28:40 AM EST
I did a M.Comm on the arse end of the planet.

Cool, you're back by R Mutt (6.00 / 1) #4 Thu Sep 09, 2004 at 01:45:59 AM EST
I did read your blog for a bit, but it kind of drifted off my radar ages ago.

MBAs: I don't think they're as popular in UKia as in the US, so can't really comment. Last thing I recall you were doing some kind of "technology evangelist" thing, so I'd say doing an MBA at this point would move you very much away from a tech role into a management role.

Now, junior and middle managers are the first against the wall when things turn sour, so I'd say at your stage you'd be better off moving into a tech role: coding or architect if you can swing it. That gives you more flexibility, and more credibility: it's easier for a coder to move into management than a manager to move into coding if he's never had much experience.

But if you're dead set on a management path anyway, you might as well do the MBA.

That's a big 'only' by Rogerborg (6.00 / 1) #5 Thu Sep 09, 2004 at 02:13:29 AM EST
You don't think these middle management fucks get their jobs on merit or ability, do you?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Well by ham (3.00 / 0) #6 Thu Sep 09, 2004 at 02:43:41 AM EST
My brother got an undergrad degree in Communication and 5 years later got an MBA.  It helped his career tremendously from a financial standpoint, but then again ... he got an undergrad degree in Communication.

MBA by bukvich (3.00 / 0) #7 Thu Sep 09, 2004 at 02:54:19 AM EST
Do you know people with MBA's? That you want to work with?

The fashion where I am is that MBA's are a total waste of time. Kind of in the same spirit of how Hulver has the Microsoft Powerpoint icon for his "boring" topic.

Hmmmm. I just checked to see if that last statement is correct and the icon appears to be missing in action. Have the microsoft copyright lawyers smacked down on Hulver?

OK, let me rephrase that. In my office MBA's are generally viewed the way the worker bees look at the pointy haired boss in the Dilbert comic strip, i. e. an overeducated nitwit.

What do you mean, by komet (3.00 / 0) #8 Thu Sep 09, 2004 at 02:56:40 AM EST
"only making connections"? Connections are the whole point of doing an MBA. It's easiest to do business with someone you already know, and the blackmail-worthy inside information comes in quite handy, too.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Indonesia by duxup (3.00 / 0) #9 Thu Sep 09, 2004 at 03:31:25 AM EST
As for the lack of reaction to the bombing give it time.  It's only just morning over here.  I would say that Indonesia isn't exactly a well understood country over here (I can't say I know a great deal either) and issues terror doesn't seem new to them and as such it dangles perilously near the pit of Africa where nations and people can slaughter one another and it gets little attention.

As for the Beslan situation well there you had wholesale slaughter in a school and short of Africa, that's going to get attention no matter what.

____

I'm still a moron by duxup (6.00 / 1) #10 Thu Sep 09, 2004 at 03:34:12 AM EST
Look at me, replying to two diaries at once and posting one in the wrong diary :P

I'm a moron!

W00000000!
____

Yeah. by Tonatiuh (6.00 / 1) #12 Thu Sep 09, 2004 at 04:16:00 AM EST
I guest the terrorists should get MBAs also.

Best idea evar by duxup (3.00 / 0) #13 Thu Sep 09, 2004 at 04:25:14 AM EST
At least then they'd be less productive.
____
Throw off the tyranny of the subject line! by duxup (3.00 / 0) #11 Thu Sep 09, 2004 at 03:36:54 AM EST
I'm planning on going back to school with the possible long term goal of getting an MBA.  My attitude at this point is that I'm looking for it as something to have on a resume, and whatever I learn extra.  It's a sad attitude to have I think.
____