Print Story Bitterness but surviving
Ranting
By bob6 (Mon Sep 13, 2004 at 05:52:14 AM EST) (all tags)
Movies I saw.
+ A rant about democracy (yeah, I know but I didn't confuse with another site)
+ Distress about moving
+ RPGs (poll)

Movies

Magnolia got good critics, but we thought it sucked. Despite an impressive casting —especially Luis Guzman, William H. Macy and Philip Seymour Hoffman— Julianne Moore and Tom Cruise never cease to be irritating, as usual. The movie is pointlessly sad (includes mandatory cancers and incest) however we never felt sorry for any of the characters. Moreover I have little patience with paranormal fascination. I usually fancy many characters movies but only with the talent of Altman.

I gave up to some kind of pressure and saw Day after tomorrow. I've been told it wasn't the usual American Hero Saves The World Alone. Well, it's even worse: bad acting, lousy plot and ineffective. I found that this movie casts the worst kind of self pitying image of the American society.

In order to end on a positive short review, I'll say that I liked Kill Bill Vol. 2 even more than the first one. My favourite scene is the conversation between Carradine and Madsen. And my favourite quote is "I overreacted" because, since then, the plot shifts from revenge to an household head game.
Rant

There's a site you know so well where we can read frequently the following commonplace: "[the US is] not a democracy but representative republic". Commonplaces usually get on me but this new one's beginning to actually get on me. Hence the rant.
The thing is life is not a video game, neither are societies. So if you want to understand politics, democracy and liberty, here's a tip: STOP PLAYING SID FUCKING MEYER'S CIVILIZATION. Reading books is usually considered a decent alternative, even something as straightforward as The Prince.
A more practical tip is that "republic" and "democracy" do not qualify the same kind of things (respectively a government and a society, for the curious). Of course the two notions are related and are not orthogonal. But they aren't sequential, neither.
Moving

Sorry for the bitterness, but there is a non-zero chance we'll move to Montpellier for job reasons. It seems to be a cool place but moving brutally (a few months of advance notice only) is quite stressful.

Pros: sun, sea, Spain, far from step family, low average age, job.
Cons: less than a million inhabitants, moving disturbance, far from step family.
RPGs

It's been a while I've been gathering free tabletop pen and paper RPGs on the web. So I'm considering becoming the editor of the appropriate dmoz category.
Should I? Anyone has an experience on the open directory?
< Two-Ring Circus, pt 2 | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Bitterness but surviving | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Sounds vaguely interesting... by atreides (6.00 / 1) #1 Mon Sep 13, 2004 at 06:01:00 AM EST
Want some help? I've probably forgotten more RPGs than most people have ever played...

Thank you for educating me about Black Cock. Can I have my pants back? -LilFlightTest

Thanks by bob6 (3.00 / 0) #7 Tue Sep 14, 2004 at 08:21:49 PM EST
My main sources are rpgnow.com (free stuff), John Kim's list and Grog (french). I only list rules available in PDF.
I'm just afraid of the time it would take me but the pace on dmoz doesn't seem to high. More news on later diaries...

Cheers.
re: Tarentino's Kung Foo movie pt 2 by zantispam (6.00 / 1) #2 Mon Sep 13, 2004 at 06:04:37 AM EST
I hated it.  Maybe it's because I have a daughter a bit younger that the Bride's daughter.

Putting myself in her shoes hurt way too much.

-- no sig

KBV2 by ti dave (6.00 / 1) #3 Mon Sep 13, 2004 at 06:12:06 AM EST
Meh. The conversation was a bit stilted throughout, even for a Tarantino flick.

I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. --W.S. Burroughs

Montpelier by clark9000 (6.00 / 1) #4 Mon Sep 13, 2004 at 07:00:17 AM EST
Are you in Paris or in Rio these days? That's a big move from Rio.

Never been to Montpelier but it sounds like it would be fun. I'd say go for it.

Hi by bob6 (6.00 / 1) #8 Tue Sep 14, 2004 at 08:26:28 PM EST
I'm in Paris and I would be stupid not to go for it: jobs in my area aren't so common, I could afford being picky on the place. Moreover, I've been there recently and I liked it. My wife must find a job which shouldn't be too hard (she's a doc).
How r u?

Cheers.
Re: KB by LinDze (6.00 / 1) #5 Mon Sep 13, 2004 at 07:00:51 AM EST
I just watched Takashi Kitanos take on Zatoichi last night. After the first 30 seconds it dawns "So that was what Tarrentino wanted to do".

Kill Bill just struck me as a collection of neat little scenes without any actual storytelling skills to tie them together. As far as any sort of homage to the japanese samurai epic Zatoichi actually gets it.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei

Absolutely by bob6 (3.00 / 0) #9 Tue Sep 14, 2004 at 08:30:22 PM EST
I thought the same watching Hero and the older Golden Swallow. Even in his wildest dream QT wouldn't reach classic wuxia movies. I'm really beginning to think he isn't such a good director.

Cheers.
i like the point... by vardaman (6.00 / 1) #6 Mon Sep 13, 2004 at 02:57:22 PM EST
about democracy and republicanism being not direct substitutes in competition with one another.  i'm not sure it's 'true' (by reference to how the terms have been used by the relevant scholars);  but it's neat and elegant and possible.

Thanks by bob6 (3.00 / 0) #10 Tue Sep 14, 2004 at 08:45:52 PM EST
Historians, sociologists, political analysts and other soft scientists now take as granted that categories aren't permanent and well delimited. These categories include "democracy" and "republic" or even "science" and "human".

Political discussions on K5 lack this kind of shift: gay is gay, foetus is foetus, freedom is freedom, etc.

Cheers.
well enough by vardaman (6.00 / 1) #11 Wed Sep 15, 2004 at 04:04:23 AM EST
...in a sense, Mr. bob6.  People use terms differently; they evolve in the context of different linguistic environments.

Still, I don't wish to concede--for my own sake--the point that semantics is necessarily relative--that there's no good to be had by seeking to discover a definition that both fits the linguistic context and is useful in terms of other terms of the same subject for analysis or other purposes.

As for democracy, republic, and all that, I do find it interesting to see the distinction made as you make it.  it seems it may shed some light on some things.........

Or if not, it jives some with wht I've been thinking....

My typing is too poor, my mind too feeble just now to finish this message.

Difference in opinion by bob6 (3.00 / 0) #12 Wed Sep 15, 2004 at 07:50:40 PM EST
I don't think we discover categories, but we make. Which doesn't prevent us from making universal categories. However we are conceited and think that universal is forever and since ever, that's just false. For instance we use the word democracy for modern central societies as well for Greek cities 25 centuries ago. Yet the two kind of societies can't be compared.

Good night...

Cheers.
Ideas and democracyt by vardaman (6.00 / 1) #13 Sat Sep 18, 2004 at 05:58:04 PM EST
We have at least a couple of topics here.

For one, can there be a universal (concept) that exists before we put a name on it and call it whatever we call it?  If so, would that not imply that we refer to the same concept when we make use of the word in reference to it? THese seem to be your questions and answers to them being yes and no, respectively.

Second, the initial question: What relation do the concepts of republic and democracy have in the modern world? You said they are not orthogonal but they as well not degrees in kind.

My attraction to the position may have been that I like to think of our country as being democratic in its better moments while being republican also in its better moments--but speaking of different subjects, in fact.

The first subject may be understood to be the people aspiring to succeed outside of the appartus of the state, the second, those within the state.    I democratically seek to advance along with my peers. I republicanly seek to limit the power of the masses in their demand for the powers of the state apparatus.

I suppose that solves my puzzle enough for me, namely, how it can be so, what you say.

Regarding the first question, I seem to answer that democracy--for instance--does not refer to the same universal when speaking of the context ofGreece nd of America; so, the possibility still exists that we discover universals.

If that makes any sense....  I hope so.

Bitterness but surviving | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback