Print Story The Three Laws of Robotics, Blake's Seven, Robert Manne
Sci-Fi
By sien (Sun Aug 22, 2004 at 09:16:44 PM EST) (all tags)
From The Age today, a story about how difficult the three laws of robotics would actually be to implement.

The sobering conclusion is that preventing intelligent robots from harming humans will require a more complex solution than simply programming them. In fact, programming a real robot to follow the three laws would, itself, be very difficult.

The article points out the obvious, but that never occured to me.
That and notes about a silly Robert Manne opinion column about Australia's electoral system.
And note that the Age has a column three girl almost every day!

I started watching Blake's Seven on the weekend. Good stuff.

The Age, which is one of the more important 'serious' parts of the Australian press. It and the Sydney Morning Herald and the Financial Review are the fairfax press. Those three and The Australian are probably the most important papers in the country. Rupert Murdoch owns much of the rest the papers and they have suffered accordingly. His flagship paper, The Australian, is not bad though.

Anyways, The Age and the SMH have recently changed their format and introduced a column 3 girl. On the front page most of the time is a delectable female for male office workers to ogle. Grand of them.

The article about robotics is cool. I had never considered how hard it would be to program a robot to even basically cover what the 3 laws of robotics would require. Extending them to really protect people would be almost impossible as the article points out.

Robert Manne has written an amusing article about how the Australian system has no check on the power of the executive. He has a point. Australian politics has become driven by the party whip. The Liberal (conservative) Party recently crushed a potential problem for it on their right wing, demolishing the far right party of Pauline Hanson. On the left the Labour Party has started to promote dubious celebreties to sure up it's base against the Greens.

However, Manne goes on to cite the example of how the US system is better because a check is provided on presidential power. He has a point. However, if, as now and in the first 2 years of the Clinton administration the Senate, the house and the presidency are all held by the one party then all this is not important.

Amusingly he refers to how great the US inquiry into intelligence about non-conventional weapons in Iraq was. He refers to it as genuinely illuminating. But perhaps he's trolling.

Political systems are neither as bad as they appear nor as good as they appear. If they are really bad people will find ways to work around them or will remake them. If they are really good people will find a way to thwart them and make them not what they could be.

I'm sick. I came home from work today and slept much of the afternoon. Hopefully I can head off my cold and get back to it quickly. I'm going to take tommorrow off and sleep and watch DVDs. Finally I think I've found a reason for having a DVD collection.

I've wanted to see Blake's Seven for years and have finally gotten around to it. I see the point. It's good. It's sci-fi with good characters which almost doesn't happen. It has the admirable but frequently highly amusing style of BBC budget sci-fi like Dr Who and it has a pretty decent plot. It has the usual Big-Brother-esque stuff. I wonder if since the fall of the USSR if sci-fi has reduced the use of big brother a little and has different bad guys instead. I don't watch or read enough of it anymore to know.

< So I had this dream... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The Three Laws of Robotics, Blake's Seven, Robert Manne | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Of course it is hard by bob6 (6.00 / 1) #1 Sun Aug 22, 2004 at 10:02:42 PM EST
How do you make them recognise a human?

Cheers.
Yes by sien (3.00 / 0) #2 Sun Aug 22, 2004 at 10:08:41 PM EST
Did you ever think about it though? I dunno, maybe it appealed to me just because I'd never thought about it.

The deeper question about whether it's even possible is cool too. After all, what is good for humanity?

Nobody knows anything - William Goldman.
Further by bob6 (3.00 / 0) #7 Mon Aug 23, 2004 at 12:39:37 AM EST
If it was possible, what would be the difference between robots and humans?

Cheers.
Robots wouldn't have blogs by Rogerborg (3.00 / 0) #8 Mon Aug 23, 2004 at 12:56:59 AM EST
They'd all just P2P over bluetooth or something.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Which means by bob6 (3.00 / 0) #10 Mon Aug 23, 2004 at 01:05:39 AM EST
You consider Trolls as part of humanity...

Cheers.
Luke - *I* am your father by Rogerborg (6.00 / 2) #11 Mon Aug 23, 2004 at 01:26:25 AM EST
Or any of the other guys from the USS Nebraska.  That was a pretty wild night.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
BBC SciFi by Vulch (6.00 / 3) #3 Sun Aug 22, 2004 at 10:08:58 PM EST

More stuff worth getting, "Star Cops" due out on R2 at the end of the month is 9 episodes about the new commander of the International Space Police Force, an inefficient, under-funded and corrupt agency responsible for investigation and law enforcement off earth, and "Moonbase 3", 6 episodes set in the European moonbase.

For something a bit more cerebral... by nebbish (5.00 / 1) #5 Sun Aug 22, 2004 at 11:05:49 PM EST
Try Survivors, about the UK after most of the population have been wiped out by a virus developed for biological warfare.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Just found out... by nebbish (3.00 / 0) #12 Mon Aug 23, 2004 at 02:04:35 AM EST
Survivors was written by the same man who wrote Blakes 7, so you should like it.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

You mean the Greek "girl"? by ti dave (6.00 / 1) #4 Sun Aug 22, 2004 at 10:49:07 PM EST
Damn, that's nasty.

I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. --W.S. Burroughs

Really by sien (3.00 / 0) #6 Sun Aug 22, 2004 at 11:26:29 PM EST
I like the stomach.

Nobody knows anything - William Goldman.
What IS it with you OZians and your politics talk? by Rogerborg (6.00 / 1) #9 Mon Aug 23, 2004 at 01:00:44 AM EST
Look, you lost the Australian - American War.  Get over it.  Move on.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Lack of DailyKOZ by sien (3.00 / 0) #14 Mon Aug 23, 2004 at 10:43:13 AM EST
Our problem is a lack of a DailyKos site for Australians. But cam is settting one up. And we disagree.

When it's up you'll no doubt be over there all the time and become fascinated by the politics of the underworld.

Nobody knows anything - William Goldman.
I fear that by Rogerborg (3.00 / 0) #15 Mon Aug 23, 2004 at 07:54:13 PM EST
I suspect that you might talk yourself into starting a war with Belgium or Barsoom or somewhere like that.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Don't fear that by sien (3.00 / 0) #16 Tue Aug 24, 2004 at 02:38:43 PM EST
Just warn anyone who says 'fush and chups'...... and has a prediliction for strange dances before rugby matches.

Nobody knows anything - William Goldman.
I modeled myself on Avon! by the (3.00 / 0) #13 Mon Aug 23, 2004 at 02:05:45 AM EST
Until Orac came along and then Orac became my role model.

The Definite Article