Print Story The Iceland Diaries —- Preface
By BadDoggie (Tue Aug 17, 2004 at 10:35:33 PM EST) (all tags)
I hadn't planned to go to Iceland. Originally I thought I'd take a couple weeks off and visit Finland this year. But then mum rang and let me know the house was sold (for >10% over the original asking price thanks to a bidding war among six couples) and her move was a go. She finally had the exact dates less than three weeks in advance. I had to get a ticket for travel from EUia to USia in July and August. Most ticket prices began at EUR2500, but I found the cheapest ticket with Icelandair1 at "only" EUR1200.

I remembered that as a national airline, Icelandair offers the possibility of up to a week's stay-over at no additional cost. I fiddled with my travel dates since they only fly between Munich and Keflavík on Tuesdays and I was set for almost a week in Iceland. Some chatting on IRC ensured I'd meet up with a guy who lives about half an hour from Reykjavík.

Coolness ensued.

The Iceland Diaries:
Preface, Day 1, Day 2, Day 3a, Day 3b, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6a, Day 6b, Day 7, Wrap-up.

1 Icelandair has to be specified by agents since it doesn't seem to show up normally in Sabre searches when Iceland isn't specified as the destination.

After my two weeks in the U.S., I set off for Iceland hoping to take in as much as possible, knowing I'd never be back here again. As I write this in my hotel room a few hours before leaving (I'm going out for drinks with Oru in an hour), I know I'll be back, perhaps as soon as September. Update: Additional material is being added post-return.

The country only has about 280K people. That's kibipeople, not kilopeople. Almost all of them speak English (but not a particular cabbie - see Day 5). I lived in a D.C. suburb with a larger population.

In these diaries I've written about my arrival and its ensuing hilarity, my first glimpses of the country, my general speechlessness at the incredible wonder of this place, some activities in which I partook, people I met, and reports on some of the most disgusting foods known to mankind. Which I ate. I've also included some travelling tips.

Here is my second first glimpse, the view of arriving in Keflavik from the U.S.:

Traveller's Tip
Bring raingear

The rain falls sideways in Iceland.
While I managed to escape almost all foul weather in my short week in the southwest, I got lucky and arrived during a heat wave which broke many records. Even though it doesn't get as cold as most of EUia or USia, most of the time the place is very windy. The normal temperature during the short summer is 11-15°C (about 52-60°F).
I'd originally intended to post these diaries about a day behind, but between poor Net access and having a lot of fun, this didn't happen. Instead, I took notes, fleshed out bits and have come up with something somewhat readable, at least in small doses. I have well over 7,000 words in toto prior to finishing sections which are still only notes, and I have some pictures which will appear on the HuSi version of this series.

I'm using this foreword to give you a chance to post some questions I might be able to answer or that I didn't think to scribble down. Alternatively you can tell me what a teasing wanker I am.

Here's another look at the green moonscape on the way from Keflavík to Reykjavík:

Note: I'll be using my m4d editurding sk1llz and personal connections to add links between diaries as they're posted.

Preface endnote:
I'm now back home and finishing this up. I almost didn't get in the airplane. In my chats with others, this is no atypical feeling.

At the Munich airport, I ran into the guy I'd met on the way over. It wasn't that surprising because of the Tuesday-only flights, but it was still nice. He was pretty sunburnt. We talked a bit after the cops had come up to me and started checking my passport and asking questions. I know I came off pretty weird being so tired from not sleeping the night before as well as the surprise of the confrontation. The cops were his buddies. We continued talking and I even talked with the cops a bit. They don't remember me - this was the third time in as many years the same guys have targeted me.

The guy was pretty sunburnt. I opened my carry-on bag and gave him a bottle of SPF 50 sunscreen. He'll need it next year when he goes to Tunisia. I can always get mum or bro to send me another bottle of the stuff before next July.

< It is kind of boring here | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The Iceland Diaries —- Preface | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I soooo want to go to Iceland by nebbish (6.00 / 3) #1 Tue Aug 17, 2004 at 11:47:33 PM EST
No jokes about Mum Going to Iceland please.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Damn by anonimouse (6.00 / 1) #2 Tue Aug 17, 2004 at 11:50:49 PM EST
Someone had to ruin my punchline...

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
It's by snugglebunny (6.00 / 1) #4 Tue Aug 17, 2004 at 11:52:05 PM EST
because mums' are heroes

-- Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it - Black Box Recorder : Child Psychology
Nope! by Breaker (3.00 / 0) #6 Tue Aug 17, 2004 at 11:57:04 PM EST
Because Mum's not pikey enough for Aldi's!

ABUSE OF APOSTROPHE'S! ILL KILL YOU!!! [n/t] by Rogerborg (6.00 / 1) #10 Wed Aug 18, 2004 at 12:34:21 AM EST

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Yep by snugglebunny (3.00 / 0) #11 Wed Aug 18, 2004 at 12:46:23 AM EST
even as I pressed submit I thought something looked wrong.

Never mind I plan on killing you first as you're part of the cabal of people who are given money by employers and moan constantly.

Not "cabal of people" by Rogerborg (3.00 / 0) #12 Wed Aug 18, 2004 at 12:56:47 AM EST
"Taxpayers" you dole scrounging hippy. ;-P

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
My by snugglebunny (3.00 / 0) #13 Wed Aug 18, 2004 at 01:05:05 AM EST
ambition is to be on the dole as it would be a damn site better than my current situation.

i.e. paying for a substandard education while not being elligible for benefits.

Oooh, harsh by Rogerborg (3.00 / 0) #14 Wed Aug 18, 2004 at 01:07:50 AM EST
I've been there.  I eventually figured out that you can scam them by getting your educational establishment to provide a letter saying that you attend fewer than 16 hours per week (which is probably technically true, right?) so then you're part time and can scrounge like a pro.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I've by snugglebunny (3.00 / 0) #16 Wed Aug 18, 2004 at 01:33:53 AM EST
got a feeling I may have paid too much tax last year. Time to pester the Inland Revenue to see if I can get a rebate.

What is the Iceland Mum joke? [nt] by cam (3.00 / 0) #8 Wed Aug 18, 2004 at 12:31:07 AM EST
Sorry by nebbish (6.00 / 1) #15 Wed Aug 18, 2004 at 01:29:28 AM EST
-1 too UKian.

There is a supermarket in the UK called Iceland, and that's the little catchphrase / jingle thing on their adverts.

Yes it is crap.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Been by jump the ladder (6.00 / 1) #3 Tue Aug 17, 2004 at 11:51:10 PM EST
To Iceland. Yeah, it's a good place but very pricey

Expensive alcohol, I've heard by nebbish (3.00 / 0) #5 Tue Aug 17, 2004 at 11:54:49 PM EST
Can't imagine what sort of a holiday that'd be.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

You left out an adverb by BadDoggie (6.00 / 1) #7 Wed Aug 18, 2004 at 12:25:36 AM EST
Extremely expensive alcohol, though we would have also accepted "incredibly" or "unbelievably".

It's still a good holiday, though everything else is also expensive. Booze in the shops is about 5-6x more expensive than in EUia, save for perhaps Scandinavia, in which case it's only about double the price.

Tipping the bartender does wonders. Buying a round of shots and includnig the bartender is a guaranteed to get you shitfaced without decimating your budget.

woof.

"Eppur si muove." -- Galileo Galilei
"Nevertheless, it moves."

Nice pictures by cam (3.00 / 0) #9 Wed Aug 18, 2004 at 12:31:53 AM EST
Looking forward to reading more of the BadDoggie Iceland diaries. Thanks for sharing.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

+1FP by anonimouse (6.00 / 1) #17 Wed Aug 18, 2004 at 01:44:28 AM EST
If I vote any more travel stories to the front page, Google will think HuSi is a travel site.

Methinks I shall have to diversify my voting.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
There are more coming by BadDoggie (3.00 / 0) #18 Wed Aug 18, 2004 at 01:50:58 AM EST
Each of the next 6 or 7 weekdays should have another 1000 words and 3-10 pictures of Icelandic goodness.

woof.

"Eppur si muove." -- Galileo Galilei
"Nevertheless, it moves."

I see you caught your flight by madbomber (6.00 / 1) #19 Wed Aug 18, 2004 at 09:11:06 PM EST
After your last night in Iceland I wasn't sure you would. I know I didn't make it to work the next morning.

Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip.

See you next time you come to Keflavík

madbomber is also known as Hagrid

The Iceland Diaries —- Preface | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback