Print Story PFC Results
By edwin (Mon Jul 19, 2004 at 01:59:22 AM EST) (all tags)
Frenzied competition! Ingenious, brain-melting hacks! The finest minds of our generation meet in bloody 1-on-1 combat! Or maybe not...

Well, there was a grand total of 1 entry for the   anti-spam PFC. I guess y'all decided it was too much work, despite votin' for it when I asked what people would find fun. C'est la vie.

So I hereby declare Hulver, author of said single entry, TEH WINNAR!!!!1!. Congratulations.

< apropos of my monday meeting | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
PFC Results | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Congratulations hulver! by jacob (3.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jul 19, 2004 at 02:18:30 AM EST
Too bad more people didn't enter. FWIW, I was thinking about doing up an entry that used a technique from computational linguistics to segment a text with no word boundaries into one that had them. That would take care of the spurious/missing spaces problem, but I couldn't think of a way to detect other sorts of obfuscation in the same algorithm without blowing up the complexity so I didn't end up doing it.

Congratulations to Hulver by TPD (3.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 19, 2004 at 02:21:18 AM EST
Did you ever run it against any real world spam to see if it could up detection rates?

Sorry for being one of many non-entrants in this PFC. Holiday and lack of free time conspired against me...

I'm surprised no one else enterred as the problem was a pretty interesting one (if possibly a bit on the open ended side).

Hopefully we'll see another PFC posted shortly and I  and the rest of the slackers will have a chance to redeem ourselves!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Meh by gazbo (3.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 19, 2004 at 02:24:08 AM EST
I thought the problem was pretty spot-on - interesting, no titting around with boilerplate code or IO routines, and you could spend as little or as much time on it as you wanted.

My excuse is that I've been, and still am, working like a bastard.  Ah well.

Woo! by hulver (3.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 19, 2004 at 03:03:23 AM EST
Thanks.

It was a pretty piss poor entry though, and I didn't get time to do the enhancements I wanted to.

I thought it was a good competition subject though.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

A wins a win by TPD (3.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 19, 2004 at 03:46:05 AM EST
did you ever try it against real world spam to see how it faired?

You going to take the batton on the hosting stakes?

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

D'oh! by hulver (3.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 19, 2004 at 04:03:51 AM EST
I forgot about taking the baton thingy.

I'll see if I can come up with a decent subject.

No, I never tried it out.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Too little time :( by tmoertel (3.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jul 21, 2004 at 10:49:13 AM EST
I thought that the challenge task was great. But I just didn't have enough time to enter. Seems I'm not alone in that.

Maybe the challenge task for the next PFC could be to build a time generator?

Write Perl code? Check out LectroTest. Write markup-dense XML? Check out PXSL.

PFC Results | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback