Print Story The road less traveled
By illsorted (Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:22:19 AM EST) (all tags)
An over abundance of cliches.

Inside: Choosing life's path, bachelordom, health concerns.

Like many, I'm truly fed up with my situation. I've got a job I hate, and that provides no means for satisfaction or change; I live in a mediocre town populated by conservative fuckwits; my relationship is unsatisfactory; I don't know myself well enough to judge what path would satisfy me. I also form awkward sentences using semicolons.

I've boiled my options down to two paths.

The first hinges on being offered a job with the state. Right now I have no idea what the possibilities of this happening are. I give it 50/50 at the moment.

If this were to happen, it would involve moving to Pierre, state capital of South Dakota. While it's not a big move, it would provide some change of scenery, an advancement on my "career path", and close proximity to my best friend and some various close family members. I would also likely enroll in an online graduate program in "information security" offered by my alma-mater.

The second path entails ridding myself of most of my worldly possessions and teaching English abroad. First step would be to save a few thousand dollars and take an TESL course in Prague to get certified. Cursory investigation has revealed many jobs (mostly in Japan) paying 3-4K (USD) monthly for certified English teachers.

Most contracts are yearly, so I would probably be traveling about southeast Asia, Japan, and China, teaching rich kids how to speak proper American.

This provides the obvious advantage of being able to do a bit of traveling and exploring that I think I would enjoy, along with making some cash while I'm at it. The biggest drawback, I suppose, would be less contact with anyone that I know here in the US (family and friends).

So that's where I'm at now. As it stands, if I'm offered the job I will take it, see how it fits, and probably do that for at least a couple years. If not, I will begin making preparations for the second choice (preparations mostly being the saving of money).

I'll keep you posted.

J left last night for Tennessee. She's driving with three friends to work parking at the Bonaroo music festival. They left at 10 PM last night and are expected to be there at 7 PM tonight for check-in and orientation.

This leaves me with over a week of solitary confinement in the house. Seeing as I have no money to go out and spend, it will most likely be spent cleaning and lounging about in relative tranquility.

Spent last night mostly dinking about installing arch linux on my laptop. It was certainly the most painless Linux install I've ever done. 30 minutes and I was set up with a base installation, my PCMCIA network card configured and working and config files configed :)

I'm afraid that I may be developing some carpel tunnel problems.

For the last couple weeks I've been having episodes where my left wrist locks up and becomes painful to rotate. It feels like the tendons in there are tied up in a knot. Extremely painful, and now I have a lingering pain there.

It's strange because these episodes come on very quickly, remain for no more than 30 minutes, and then vanish just as fast.

Any advice? I know there are some sufferers here. I think I may purchase a wrist brace and start wearing it to bed. Unfortunately, I can't really afford to go to the doctor and have him attempt to diagnose anything at the moment.

Lastly, I need to revamp my resume. What format is recommended for someone recently out of college (2 years) and with only one professional job outside of school?

If an dedicated readers have made it this far, I congratulate them on the tedious task of reading this diary.

< Ronald Reagan curses me from the grave, err, bier | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The road less traveled | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
wtf by tps12 (6.00 / 1) #1 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:25:56 AM EST
A supposedly American state has a capital named after a Frenchman?

Yes by illsorted (3.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:31:16 AM EST
but in an effrontery to common decency these folks pronounce it like "peer" and not with its rightful French pronunciation. Much like the ridiculous Texan practice of Americanizing all the Spanish-derived street names. For example, "Guadalupe" is pronounced guad-a-loop.

It's a travesty.

French pronunceeashun by MillMan (3.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:44:23 AM EST
Pretty common in the midwest. Nicollet Mall, one of the main drags in downtown Minneapolis, is pronouced locally as "nick-let", as opposed to the French pronunciation of "nickoh-lay".

The worst by illsorted (3.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:48:28 AM EST
is the Minnesota pronunciation of "New Prague". You know, so I shall not repeat it here.

New Prayg! nt by MillMan (3.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:51:43 AM EST

Damn you! [n/t] by illsorted (3.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:53:02 AM EST

And in St. Louis there's a road named by greyrat (3.00 / 0) #23 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 07:57:57 AM EST
"Gravois". That's "grav" as in "Grav-ity" and "OYZ" as in "Boise, Idaho". Say it with me: "grav-OYZ".

That's Bwah-SAY, Idaho, you heathen. by ti dave (3.00 / 0) #24 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 08:16:32 AM EST

I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. --W.S. Burroughs

Not "boy-Z"? [nt] by greyrat (3.00 / 0) #25 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 08:22:16 AM EST

No. by ti dave (3.00 / 0) #26 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 08:30:23 AM EST
I say it like this; TheplaceIcontractedSalmonellawhenIdroveacrossthe Country.

I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.

heh by MillMan (6.00 / 2) #5 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:35:52 AM EST
Yeah I heard the staue of Liberty was built by the Fenchies too.

I'm no doctor by Bob Abooey (6.00 / 2) #3 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:33:00 AM EST
But that one singular fact won't stop me from making a comment...

That doesn't sound like carpal tunnel to me. I think you get tingling in your fingers and numbness that runs down your forearm and I think pain in your elbow joints. At one point I thought I was maybe showing signs of it but it turns out I was spending lots of time leaning on my elbows and this was causing pain in my arms. I stopped leaning (and try to maintain proper posture when typing, playing guitar, etc) and the pain went away. Try to pay attention to what you do with your arms/wrists/hands as you go through your workday to see if you're doing something odd and don't even know it.

That said, you don't want to mess with CTS, it's permanent damage.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Thanks by illsorted (3.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:46:42 AM EST
It certainly could be related to my lack of ergonomics. I will be mindful of my posture. It certainly could not hurt.

Sounds Fairly Sorted. by CheeseburgerBrown (6.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:33:27 AM EST
I like the semicolons, myself.

Your plan sounds good. A few of my friends have had the teaching abroad adventure, and I haven't heard any horror stories.

My mousing wrist (right) was going silly, so I took to using a tablet and with my left hand, which has worked out well. I have a forearm tensor-thingy for my right forearm, to keep my muscles in place when I am obliged to use a mouse (on-site with a client, for example).

As for your week of solitary, have you considered sniffing solvents? It's all the rage in the Arctic.

_____
Cheesburger Approved by illsorted (6.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:42:33 AM EST
I tried Lysol last night. That burnt a bit going down.

Solvents it is.

random things by yankeehack (6.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:40:35 AM EST
1)What is your alma mater or at least a linky poo to the online graduate course?

2)I thought you were older than 2 years out of school.

3)I forgot.

RE: things by illsorted (6.00 / 2) #10 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:45:11 AM EST
  1. Dakota State University in Madison, SD. Here's a link to the program I was talking about. It's a new program, so I'd give them at least a year to get their shit sorted out :)

2. I'm 24.

3. Don't worry, me too.

jeepers creepers by yankeehack (3.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 05:05:16 AM EST
from their website, I can't tell what the admissions requirements ARE.  :-O

I think they need some usability advisement first and foremost.

Actually by illsorted (3.00 / 0) #18 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 05:48:04 AM EST
I don't know if they're offering it "online". SD has a good k12/university teleconferencing system which you can take the courses over, but I don't know if you can do it from out of state.

I think it's maybe in the works for next year (fall of 2005).

I can contact the man in charge and find out if you like.

What's your undergrad? If it's vaguely computer related, I'm sure you would qualify.

jeebus by Bob Dog (3.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:44:53 AM EST
moving to the capitol of South Dakota would be a step up?  I don't envy your life.

I'd have to agree by Jave27 (3.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 04:51:55 AM EST
South Dakota is nice to visit once or twice to see the sites like the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, etc...  But, living there?  Ouch...  I've driven around a few of the larger cities, and I really wasn't impressed.  No offense, but I'd stay away from that state as a place of residence.

"Beating up the homeless. It's cruel, but it's a good clean work-out and leaves you feeling winded and superior." - CheeseburgerBrown

Twin Cities by duxup (6.00 / 1) #17 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 05:46:10 AM EST
You know the Twin Cities aren't too far away.
____
I know by illsorted (3.00 / 0) #19 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 05:49:44 AM EST
and the that's one of my favorite locations. I grew up around there and it's my next choice if neither of these plans pans out.

wrist braces by joh3n (6.00 / 1) #20 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 06:36:36 AM EST
I echo Bob in his diagnosis that it's not CTS, but I still recommend the brace.  I would add that you should get one from a drugstore, not something off the shelf in a grocery store.  They cost more, but they are properly made.

I got very similar symptoms to you whilst writing the dreck that was my thesis a month back.  a combination of a brace and learning to not balance ALL OF MY GODDAMN WEIGHT on either my elbow or forearem whilst typing helps out dramatically and quickly.

----
ph34r

could you tell me by LoppEar (6.00 / 1) #21 Tue Jun 08, 2004 at 06:54:44 AM EST
some of the places you've been getting info on this teaching english stuff? Always looking for new possibilities.

Thanks.