Print Story Attention farlukar Infidel
By Greener (Mon May 10, 2004 at 06:37:40 PM EST) (all tags)
Or maybe hulver. I'm not sure who this should be directed at.

Kudos on the new style.

Except it doesn't work in IE.

So I fixed it.

It still needs some more work though. And it's only been tested on IE 6 and Firebird 0.6. But it does show that a CSS layout does work on a Scoop site. Of course you could already have a working version of it and it's just the theme available in the Display Preferences hadn't been fully implimented yet.

This example fixes the positining issues with the right column on the diaries page. I haven't had a chance to look at a story page yet. And it will still need some browser specific hacks.

It would also validate if there wasn't a bug in the validator that interprets &'s in links as character entities.

< I think my DVD-ROM is dying | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Attention farlukar Infidel | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
It's the implementation that's broken. by hulver (3.00 / 0) #1 Mon May 10, 2004 at 07:28:53 PM EST
See here and here for the layout I'm trying to apply.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Ain't IE wonderful? by farlukar (3.00 / 0) #2 Mon May 10, 2004 at 08:30:39 PM EST
It's the "previous/next" thingy links that are in 100% width tables. IE makes them 100% of the window size instead of the parent container, and in doing so also stretches the parent div, hiding the right-hand menu.
Something like
.prevnext{text-align:right;height:20px}

<div class="prevnext">
  <a class="light" style="float:left;text-align:left" href="previous"><< Previous 10</a>
  <a class="light" href="next">Next 10 >></a>
</div>
should do the trick, don't know if it's easy to implement.
Note: for IE, the height must be set, or else the floated text will disappear behind the background (even though the link is still clickable:)

Anyway, I've tested the stuff in IE5/5.5/6 (win), various Mozilla versions (win/lnx), Opera 6/7 (win/lnx), Konqueror 3.1/3.2 (win/lnx), and (more or less) Safari 1.2. But making a static html page work is one thing, implementing it in some dynamic server-side jiggery-pokery is something else, and I'm glad I'm not the one having to do that :)

BTW, replacing & with %25 makes it validate
___
90% of everything is crap. Except crap. 100% of crap is crap.
Propz by gazbo (3.00 / 0) #3 Mon May 10, 2004 at 08:48:19 PM EST
I've just had a look at the theme - ignoring the currant breakages, it's really rather nice.

It reminds me at how slow IE is at scrolling with a fixed background image though; that's a "bug" they've had for ages.

I've done something like this on another site by Greener (3.00 / 0) #4 Tue May 11, 2004 at 04:23:31 AM EST
Try this for the code:

<div class="prevnext">
 <span class="prev"><a class="light" href="previous"><< Previous 10</a></span>
 <span class="next"><a class="light" href="Next">Next 20 >></a></span>
</div>

This for the main Stylesheet:

.prevnext {
    text-align:right; height:20px;
    }

.prev {
    float:left;
    text-align:left;
    }

And this in the IE stylesheet:

.prevnext {
    text-align: none;
    height: 20px;
}

.prev {
    text-align: left;
    width: 50%;
}

.next {
    text-align: right;
    width: 50%;
}

I don't have any other browsers handy to test this in.

oops by Greener (3.00 / 0) #5 Tue May 11, 2004 at 04:30:22 AM EST
disregard this line: the widths can't add up to 100% or the second <span> will wrap to the next line.
It seems to not matter when you set the height in the parent div.

I should have tested this more by Greener (3.00 / 0) #6 Tue May 11, 2004 at 05:07:28 AM EST
The IE specific code may not be required at all.

YMMV of course