Print Story All Hail Bovinius Minimus!
Food
By imrdkl (Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 07:47:20 AM EST) (all tags)
With Easter on the way, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) have chosen this time to unveil their Cow Pope a 10-foot-tall statue of a cow dressed as a pope, wearing a sash that reads, "Blessed Are the Merciful. GoVeg.com,". The Cow Pope represents PETA's hope that, during this time of renewal, thoughtfulness and forgiving for much of the Christian world, people will consider PETA's belief, that few activities contribute more to suffering--both for animals and humans--than eating meat.

According to PETA:
The Cow Pope challenges people to view the world from another animal's point of view--to imagine what it must be like to be bred, tortured, and, finally, slaughtered in the most excruciatingly painful ways. It's also a call to the faithful to reflect on their food choices and to the Vatican to break its silence regarding the abuse of animals raised and killed for food and the ravaging effects that eating meat has on the human body--obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer--and soul.
The hope is that this compelling exhibit will make anyone who sees it consider becoming a vegetarian -- truly a new beginning in the spirit of Easter. In the words of Pope John Paul:
"What is needed is the more profound and infinitely more creative power of hope. This is the word I speak to you today-hope; and it is the word which the Church never ceases to speak in all her efforts to go to the roots of suffering in the world." -His Holiness, Pope John Paul II
Not being a vegetarian myself, I must say that the pictures alone have made me consider the possibility. How about you?
< Ask husi: | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
All Hail Bovinius Minimus! | 38 comments (38 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Animals are tasty. by notafurry (5.50 / 2) #1 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 07:53:24 AM EST
PETA are worthless freaks who do more damage to their cause than the entire meat industry advertising budget.

Pass it on.

I can accept that view by imrdkl (6.00 / 1) #3 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 07:57:02 AM EST
But coming from someone named "notafurry", I'm inclined to believe you have predisposed notions towards animals.

Nope by notafurry (5.00 / 1) #20 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 10:36:30 AM EST
Look, that goat swore she was human. How was I supposed to know?

Besides number one, the name is *not*afurry.

Besides number two, the name referenced that at one time in my life, I was the only male in my circle of friends who did not have a beard. Therefore, I was the one who was not a furry. See?

So you're not by Tatarigami (3.00 / 0) #26 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 11:39:45 AM EST
...a woman who shaves her figleaf?

The dozen or so messages that reach my inbox every day from Hotmail addresses have distorted my ideas about the internet.

Obviously not. by notafurry (3.00 / 0) #36 Wed Apr 07, 2004 at 05:21:43 AM EST
Anyone who was would be selling the video by now. Sheesh, haven't you learned anything from Spam?

Meh. by blixco (6.00 / 1) #2 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 07:55:16 AM EST
I'm against zealots of any kind, whether they're vegans or "don't talk to me about those crazy vegans" meat eaters.

That being said, if I were Catholic, I'd probably be offended.

Oh, and the cow would probably offend me as well.
-----------------------------
my ghost
likes to travel
so deep into your space.

I hadn't considered the catholic angle by imrdkl (3.00 / 0) #4 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 08:00:51 AM EST
Is that calloused of me?

Nah. by blixco (6.00 / 1) #5 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 08:05:27 AM EST
Most people don't think of The Catholic Angle(tm).  Hasn't been that big a deal for quite some time, except for in portions of northern Ireland and Boston.
-----------------------------
my ghost
likes to travel
so deep into your space.
What I'd like to see: by Bunny Vomit (3.00 / 0) #6 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 08:06:29 AM EST
"Life Of Bessie" starring the Monty Python troupe (or herd). (Did you notice on the pope's staff the crucified animal is a female cow (not a male bull) so that could lead into a whole tangent discussion... not that I'm going there...)

~~
I did notice that by imrdkl (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 08:52:16 AM EST
And it's worth mentioning that cow meat (female) is rarely eaten by humans anyways, at least not as retail cuts. Steers are where it's at, you know. Generally speaking, cow meat is udderly repulsive.

Pun aside by Canthros (3.00 / 0) #21 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 10:41:18 AM EST
it's mostly that steers get bigger, producing more meat per animal, which translates to greater profit for less work.

I'm not here, man.

No, no by imrdkl (3.00 / 0) #28 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 11:50:55 AM EST
Cow meat is bloody (due to milk production), stringy, and generally devoid of marbling (fat). Steer meat is well-marbled, much less bloody, and much tastier.

Huh. News to me. [nt] by Canthros (3.00 / 0) #29 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 11:52:56 AM EST

I'm not here, man.

W T F by DesiredUsername (3.00 / 0) #7 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 08:12:59 AM EST
nt

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Heh by imrdkl (3.00 / 0) #11 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 08:44:42 AM EST
Just kidding!

Mmmmm.... by ShadowNode (6.00 / 2) #8 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 08:27:13 AM EST
sacrilicious!

I believe it was trhurler that said: by greyrat (3.00 / 0) #9 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 08:36:09 AM EST
"I think sacred cows make the best hamburgers..."

Seems appropriate by imrdkl (3.00 / 0) #13 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 08:48:13 AM EST
But somehow the metaphors get mixed up in this case.

Ironically by lm (5.00 / 1) #10 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 08:44:15 AM EST
PETA didn't mention anything about the ages old catholic tradition of not eating meat during Lent. Pascha is a day for catholics returning to stuffing their mouths with fleshmeats.

Cicero, The Republic
Good one by imrdkl (3.00 / 0) #12 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 08:46:45 AM EST
They missed a good opportunity there. Start during lent, and just keep on going.

wowzers.. by sasquatchan (5.00 / 1) #15 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 08:56:05 AM EST
I mean, pope sacrilege aside, this brings a whole new meaning to worshipping the golden calf.. Damn. I mean, I know it's tongue-in-cheek here, but to wrap up a psuedo-trollish-christian message in a golden calf, oh the irony..

A better PETA campaign by theboz (3.00 / 0) #16 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 09:17:35 AM EST
If they really wanted to get those that eat the most meat to stop, there is a simple way to completely screw over the meat industry: Men eating male animal meat is gay. Think about it, you never know if a bull wang will end up in that next hamburger you eat. Maybe it would be like sucking on a man's neck to eat a steak. I thought about writing a troll along these lines once but was never bored enough to follow through with it. Still, since macho men eat more meat than anyone else, would make sense for them to find a way to tie eating meat in with what they fear the most.
- - - - -
I dont think that'll work by imrdkl (3.00 / 0) #17 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 09:32:49 AM EST
Bull meat is even less likely to wind up in hamburger than cow meat. Rocky mountain oysters (bull nuts) are not bad, though. The penis in a steer (castrated bull) never develops much beyond the calf stage.

It doesn't matter by theboz (5.00 / 1) #18 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 09:37:03 AM EST
The possibility of a wang or nuts being in a hamburger should be enough to scare the most macho of men. All that matters is writing a homoerotic enough description of what it's like, and that will be it. PETA are a bunch of weirdos anyway, so they should be able to easily talk about a construction worker sliding a portion of the shaft of a bullwang down his throat as he moans in excitement because he loves the taste.
- - - - -
Are you kidding me by jayhawk88 (3.00 / 0) #19 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 10:28:44 AM EST
I know people who routinely eat cow and sheep balls, and talk about how it is the greatest, most manly thing a guy can ever do.

Scotland doesn't count (N/T) by theboz (6.00 / 2) #31 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 12:13:56 PM EST

- - - - -
What about Wyoming? (nt) by spcmanspiff (3.00 / 0) #34 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 02:47:42 PM EST

Nobody reall lives there by theboz (3.00 / 0) #35 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 03:17:07 PM EST
The population of Wyoming is a ridiculous socialist myth.
- - - - -
hmm by infinitera (6.00 / 2) #38 Wed Apr 07, 2004 at 12:27:18 PM EST
I was under the impression that myths only came in the liberal variety.

Who cares what you think? — Son of the 41st King
The problem with this idea by DesiredUsername (3.00 / 0) #25 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 11:07:20 AM EST
Is that it might entice more gays to eat meat, upping their red blood cell counts and thus making them super strong with the ability to perform a marriage service WITHOUT BENEFIT OF CLERGY!

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Mmm ... Meat! by Canthros (3.00 / 0) #22 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 10:44:31 AM EST
Few things are quite as tasty as dead cow.

But this strikes as just as hare-brained as the stunts with college coeds wearing lettuce leaves to cover up their unmentionables.

I'm not here, man.

Items by DesiredUsername (6.00 / 2) #24 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 11:03:57 AM EST
1) I have contacted PETA regarding your abuse of rabbits in re: "hare-brained"

2) I would rather look at lettuce-clad coeds than a cow dressed as the Pope.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

Oh? by Canthros (3.00 / 0) #30 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 11:56:34 AM EST
Well, then I suppose I shall await my shrivening by scantily-clad coeds with fear and trepidation.

But I suspect I won't become a vegetarian.

I'm not here, man.

shrivening by scantily-clad coeds by DesiredUsername (6.00 / 1) #33 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 12:40:58 PM EST
Excuse me for just 2 minutes.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
i thought 7 minutes was the standard? [nt] by infinitera (3.00 / 0) #37 Wed Apr 07, 2004 at 12:26:40 PM EST
I'm sure goat and the diva established it as such back on K5.

Who cares what you think? — Son of the 41st King
obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer by gpig (3.00 / 0) #23 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 10:57:56 AM EST
Nope, you can get these being a vegetarian too.

I'm a vegetarian. But I think that PETA are annoying, and more to the point, unrealistic.
(,   ,') -- eep

PETA take themselves so seriously by Tatarigami (3.00 / 0) #27 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 11:43:20 AM EST
It's like they're begging the rest of us to laugh.

There's a constant amount of funny in the world, so if you excise the humour section of your own brain, someone else just gets jollier.

Thank God for Martin Luther by thenick (3.00 / 0) #32 Tue Apr 06, 2004 at 12:30:06 PM EST
Screw the Papicy and pass the T-Bones!

----------------------------

"'Vengence is Mine', quoth Alvis. And then he shot the guy, right in the freaking face!"

All Hail Bovinius Minimus! | 38 comments (38 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback