Print Story Ask Husi: Affecting sexuality of kids
Sex
By whazat (Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 12:00:59 AM EST) (all tags)
If there are biological changes to the brain that affect someones sexulatity as evidence is given here rather than a conscious choice, this means that parents could affect the childs sexuality. What measures would you take to stop your kid being gay/straight?

Parents give children Human Growth Hormone to make them the right height, would you take any steps to make the kids the right sexuality?
< My preliminary travel destinations in this fine year of the code monkey | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Ask Husi: Affecting sexuality of kids | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)
I saw the Gay Sheep on TV. Very interesting. by Rogerborg (5.50 / 2) #1 Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 12:15:35 AM EST
But people aren't sheep, and the gay gene is proving elusive.  Unless they're still looking for a pink one.

Non-theoretically Mr Rogerborglet at circa 10 months has a very pleasant gentle cooing voice.  This follows:

1 That proves beyond any shadow of doubt that he's clearly teh gay.
2 That, when I consider it, doesn't bother me at all.  I love him utterly and unconditionally.  He could be straight, gay, a lawyer, hell, even a liberal and I'd still love him[1].

Which I think is a sufficient nibble at your bait for now.

[1] Gay Dad jibes are invited from those of you who don't know what I mean, as a consequence of you not being heterosexual enough to have knocked up a broad yet.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

No I am actually interested by whazat (3.00 / 0) #2 Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 12:27:52 AM EST
To see if people had the choice, whether they would or not. I am not planning on having sproglets myself.

I suppose it is a sub-question of how much control people want over there kids. Whether they would give them ritilin if they were slightly hyper-active.

You however, in deciding not to overly control your kid, have earned a liberal point. I shall put your name down in my "Liberals who might be Commies" book, so that I can point you out to the authorities for anything suspicious that goes on.

Another question to determine your liberalness. If hypothetically a drug could be created that would slowly alter a kids sexuality (as he was growing up) to be more straight/gay would you allow it on the market?

The revolution will not be realised

Ha, trick question by Rogerborg (3.00 / 0) #5 Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 12:42:43 AM EST
The (hypothetical) drug thing isn't within my power to alter, so I'm not getting drawn into a pointless debate about it.  See, I have occasional liberal knee jerks, but I lack the fundamentally delusion that my opinions matter beyond the reach of my own arms.

Another thing that sucks about liberals is the tendency to put ideology above pragmatism.  I was listening to some sandaled hippy "educational policy expert" expounding on BBC Wireless Radio 4 that schools should give kids more choice in what they do.  Fortunately, there was an actual teacher there to ask how exactly this prepares children for doing a job in an office or shop, where conforming and complying are more important.  Huzzah.

That expands into a larger point about us clear minded types being able to pick and choose our options, so that I can be a disciplinarian in areas that matter (don't use Lunix, it hurts Baby Jesus), and not all at where it doesn't (shag who you want, it's your responsibility if you knock up some chick or get teh AIDS up your bottom).

Oh, and have sproglets.  Have them now.  Best.  Thing.  Evir.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Usually by georgeha (3.00 / 0) #6 Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 12:50:50 AM EST
though I could do without getting up at midnight with a moaning sprog who then empties the contents of her stomach all over  you.

I don't think I could by whazat (3.00 / 0) #7 Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 12:56:27 AM EST
Fit a cot in my parents basement. I've decided that I will try and be an uncle for all my friends kids. Baby-sitting etc. Thus meaning that I don't have to inflict me and my disgusting use of Linux on any unsuspecting people. And I don't get them inflicted upon me.

About BBC 4, that is one of the perils of one-size fits all education, that those that could benefit from guiding there own studies (future Researchers, CEO's etc) are stuck with all the people who are going to become mindless coporate slaves. And the education is aimed at the coporate slaves because there is more of them.

The revolution will not be realised

Re the education by Rogerborg (3.00 / 0) #8 Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 01:21:32 AM EST
My answer is that exception people will be exceptional despite learn-by-rote schooling.  It's pretty much axiomatic, what with them being, you know, exceptional.  Look at the number of self made people who are educational drop outs.  In this case, the exceptions really do prove the rule.

There was another piece this morning about the number of school leavers who lack the basic communication skills to pass an interview.  Or rather, what they have is m4d 5k33lz.  If they could conduct the inverview as a rap battle, no problem, but because they haven't had it drilled into them that it's not acceptable to refer to people as bitchez and homies, they're effectively unemployable.

Also, policemen are getting younger these days.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

I agree with you by whazat (3.00 / 0) #9 Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 01:43:11 AM EST
There is not much we can do about these sorts of issues, it is just interesting what the nation we live in will become like in the future.

If people are worried about there being too many rude people about, they could always have kids and teach them manners.

Or maybe we will have affirmative action for the attitudanally disadvantaged.

The revolution will not be realised

Well, I've started my contribution by Rogerborg (3.00 / 0) #10 Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 01:58:47 AM EST
And one of my potential exit strategy from programming is education.  I'm thinking give up on the current lot and start on the young uns.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Well by Mark (5.00 / 1) #3 Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 12:35:18 AM EST
Well, gays were obviously sent down by God to annoy George Bush, so if he is still president by the time I decide to produce a new Mark, I'll influence him to be gay.

Influence my child's sexuality? by Cloaked User (5.00 / 1) #4 Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 12:40:09 AM EST
Why on earth would I want to do that? Gay, straight, bi, I don't care, as long as they're happy, well and safe.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
Human Growth Hormone? by theboz (3.00 / 0) #11 Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 03:58:26 AM EST
What parents do this? I've never heard of it, but it sounds illegal. The closest thing I've heard of is a side effect of all the hormones in milk causing kids to go through puberty early.
- - - - -
One of my friends had it by whazat (3.00 / 0) #12 Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 04:53:11 AM EST
When I was growing up. Don't know how affective it was.

Sounds like the US does similar things. Although this might be a different drug from what my friend had.

The revolution will not be realised

Ask Husi: Affecting sexuality of kids | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)