Print Story LHuSi Ten Pin Bowling?
By CwazyWabbit (Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 11:35:03 PM EST) (all tags)
Just wondering if anybody fancies some ten pin bowling in London around Christmas? I'll probably be around the week each side.

Since most bowling alleys have bars and arcades with Dance Dance Revolution type games, you can the potential diary material here.

No, that's it.
< The boss was fired yesterday afternoon | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
LHuSi Ten Pin Bowling? | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Post-xmas might be OK by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 11:43:33 PM EST
Not sure when I'm coming back from t'north yet.

Sounds like a good laugh. I am terrible at bowling though, like really, really bad.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Sounds like a good idea by Phage (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 11:44:33 PM EST
Unfortunately my Brownie Point balance is severely depleted at the moment.
However a few beers are never a bad idea, I just couldn't do a very late one.

That's a fine idea by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 11:47:41 PM EST
But I need to think it through.  I'll be spending Christmas down in Alton, which is about an hour out of Waterloo, so I'm hardly a million miles away.  I'll be passing through London on the way from/to Sheffield on around the 24th and the 28th I reckon, but both those times'll be in the mid afternoon so probably not very appropriate.

I might end up coming back down for New Years anyway, adding a bit more time after Christmas that I'll be near London...ah, fuck it - this is too hard.  Come up with a date and time and I'll see if it's feasible.

You've not lived until you've witness the raw awesome power of Gazbo's flamenco bowling.

Sounds like a reasonable plan by Herring (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 12:03:50 AM EST
I am, indeed, terrible at bowling but I don't care.

What would probably suit gazbo and I (assuming he's in Alton at the time) is somewhere fairly easy to get to from Waterloo/Victoria.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Well then by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 12:27:04 AM EST
yell.co.uk mentions Rowans in Finsbury Park (once my local) from which you are a short tube journey from Kings Cross / St Pancras.

There's a place called Funland in Piccadilly Circus, but that's almost certainly overpriced tourist shit.

There is also "Elephant & Castle Superbowl" at "Leisure Gate Shopping Centre, Elephant & Castle" - anybody know if that's the large pink fortress in the roundabout? Never been, but it's handy for Waterloo or from the centre of town generally.

The only other seeming contender is Hollywood Bowl" in Rotherhithe - hopefully a short journey from Waterloo on the Jubilee line.

As to time of day - I actually quite like going in the afternoon as it's less mental and you can talk. Bowling is the sort of thing you can start a "day of fun" with and follow up with watching a film / getting pissed / vomiting.

In fact, since bowling alleys charge many limbs for booze, we could just say there's a pub trip in the evening. More people could make it, if only for part of the day. There are advantages to being underemployed :)

I'll wait on more replies and see about ringing around those places later this week.

Well, I'd kinda like to go to Rowans by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 12:39:27 AM EST
Just as a sort of bowling Mecca.  Bit out of the way for coming from Waterloo, mind, but if it were on one of the days I was travelling through London then I'd actually be going to St Pancras anyway.  Might be a hassle for Herring though (and me if I have to come from Alton just for the day).

Afternoon is a good thing if people are up for it partly for the reasons you've said, and partly because it means people don't have to worry about last trains home etc.

I wasted so much of my life there by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 01:00:29 AM EST
doing fuck all. "Bowling Mecca"? Are you sure?

I'm leaning towards the Elephant and Castle place as the three respondents so far would be best served by Sarf Lahndan.

you mean like a bingo hall? by TPD (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 02:06:55 AM EST
Actually Rowans does rock, and there's always the possibility of a Sunderbann before or after! Plus it's just round the corner from the deathwish!

Not sure if I'll be able to make it, obvious christmas is a time for family and all that, but I may be able to blow them out for bowling.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

waterloo to finsbury park by TPD (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 02:25:48 AM EST
is remarkably quick Bakerloo line then change at Oxford circus, it seems somehow to break the "45 minutes whereever" rule.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
NOT Elephant and Castle by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 01:31:25 AM EST
I know the area quite well and it's a bit ropey. The bowling alley is bound to be grim and full of villains.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Do you know Finsbury Park? by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 02:12:50 AM EST
The place scares me at night, and Rowans is certainly full of villains. I won't use the cashpoint round the corner anytime without bright daylight unless somebody comes with me.

That said, nothing has actually ever happened to me or anybody I know there. Whereas I believe my mother was mugged in a subway at Elephant and Castle.

Hmm by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 02:19:51 AM EST
No, I don't know Finsbury Park so maybe there's not much between them.

I too know someone who got mugged in an Elephant subway - it's that great choice you have at night there: shall I get mugged or run over?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Hollywood Bowl by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 03:02:44 AM EST
Is good. The beer is only slightly more expensive than pubs. Not too many gits or chavs there either.

Pretty close to Canada Water on the jubilee line also.

Sounds like a winner by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 04:03:49 AM EST
Thanks for that.

So are you interested? And are there any other watering hoes around that you could recommend?

I might be by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 05:28:44 AM EST
Depends on the date/time etc.

Dunno around there for pubs but you're close to London Bridge or Canary Wharf

Fortunately, by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 06:37:10 AM EST
And are there any other watering hoes around that you could recommend?
I'm far too naive to understand what you meant there, let alone be disgusted by it.

In terms of me being there, it's not impossible. I'm in London this w/e and maybe some other time over the 'holidays'*, too.

*Currently jobless, so holiday doesn't make too much sense.

I'm in Londonium this weekend by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 01:06:20 AM EST
But post-xmas I'll be in Iceland, followed by a week in London or possibly a move to Paris.

woof.

"Eppur si muove." -- Galileo Galilei
"Nevertheless, it moves."

Real HuSians bowl candlepins by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 05:41:49 AM EST

Plz note the new e-mail, kthx
IHNIWTPM by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 01:16:00 PM EST
And in the morning, this acronym will be a riddle to test me!

MTWH by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 01:37:27 PM EST
[1] [2]

Plz note the new e-mail, kthx
It's about time by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Dec 10, 2004 at 04:54:18 AM EST
I came to one of these meetings, so I shall look forward to the next diary fixing the time and place with interest.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL