Print Story Belated entry.
By grendel (Sun Nov 28, 2004 at 09:48:43 AM EST) (all tags)
I turned 30 at the end of last month. It was a little anti-climactic.

A good time was had, though it was a little disgruntling to be told by everyone everyone that They thought I was older because of the grey hair. My temples are thoroughly streaked with the stuff and the rest of my head is quickly following suit. It is a family thing, my Dad has been mostly grey my whole life and one of my sisters started getting grey in high school. I was 13 when I noticed my 1st. Apparently my paternal grandfather was all grey by the time he was 30. My facial hair is now going grey as well... Until he last few months it was still black. Anyway. For my birthday my wife took me to Pint's Pub in Denver. They have a website if you're curious. Some of our friends met us there. Pint's has the largest whisky collecton outside the UK. I had The Dalmore 30 year old, it was damn fine. I also had a cask strength from 1974, it was good but it mostly tasted like burning, even watered down. I drank a lot of Dark Star Ale, it's a nice cellar temperature bitter live ale that they make on site. Anyone going through Denver should definitely give the place a try, it is around the corner from the art museum. We went there after food and many drinks, The top floor is closed for a remodel so I didn't get to look at the Daniel Sprick paintings in the American West section. He's probably my favorite living artist.

I took the money my parents and K's sent me and bought a creative labs 40 GB jukebox thing. I am using it even more than I thought I would. It has been pretty spiffy to get reaquainted with so much of my music collection. On shuffle though, the device has an obsession with The Clash.

Thanksgiving was fun but just not the same without the hippies. Since moving to Colorado, our tradition has been a get together with R & E, everyone making some sort of vegetarian dish, since R & E were so inclined. It was always a ton of diverse and tasty food. Then we went bowling, it was amusing to say the least. Since R & E moved to Washington, we hosted the get together at our place and had friends over, the food was all very good and very diverse, but we just didn't have the gumption for bowling.

Lessee here, K's therapy and treatment for the damage to her wrist seems to be helping, only time will tell though. She has ganglian cysts which seem to have shrunk since the injection, but the intersection syndrome still flares badly whenver she's at work. Hopefully the ongoing treatments of electricity and cortisone will help.

I'm pretty sure the company I work for isn't long for the world, they've been in trouble for a while but there has been no progress, I doubt they have 6 months left. I think I'm going to go be a short order cook and give up on the whole computer thing.

My laptop got knocked off the coffee table, it snapped the Linksys wireless card almopst in two. So I need a new one of those, it was a B, I'm debating going G, but my WAP is B, and I don't really want to spend enough to get a new WAP right before Christmas shopping. I don't really take the laptop out, so I wouldn't get any bandwidth benefit until I replace the WAP, and I think I can get a used B card for like $20 nowadays.

I am currently re-reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. One of the best, if not the best horror novel I've ever read. I don't know what I'm going to read next. I'm thinking about reading all the Tolkien stuff again, I haven't for a few years. Suggestions are welcome.

As for music, it has been a great Autumn, new Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Elvis Costello and Leonard Cohen. The Waits album is fucking phenomenal, and K got me this collection of singles and soundtrack stuff called Book of Moses, from him, it really filled the gaps in my collection. Cave's new 2 disk set is quite good, certainly better than the last 2 albums from him and the Seeds. COstello's new rock CD, is good, the orchestral one left me a little cold. The new Cohen, is I'm sorry to say, bad. I read the lyrics and some of them are as strong and brilliant and harsh as ever, but I can hardly listen to the performance itself.

We saw PJ Harvey in Denver last month. She played my favorite song of hers. To Bring You My Love. So I was pleased but honestly I think she put on a better show in 2001.

There, pretty much all caught up.

< who is this girl? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Belated entry. | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
IS g backwards compatible with b? by georgeha (6.00 / 1) #1 Sun Nov 28, 2004 at 10:20:37 AM EST
OR at lesat do most G cards/routers also use b? I'm less than thrilled with my D-Link wireless router.

Yes. by blixco (6.00 / 1) #3 Sun Nov 28, 2004 at 10:26:34 AM EST
Cards which use 802.11g can connect to 802.11b access points.

And 802.11b nics will connect to 802.11g access points.  So long as you stay in 802.11x, you can get a connection.
---------------------------------
Journeying through the world
To and fro, to and fro
Cultivating a small field.
-basho

All of the ones I've seen do. by ti dave (6.00 / 1) #4 Sun Nov 28, 2004 at 10:29:49 AM EST
That's the word on the streets.

I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. --W.S. Burroughs

Like he said. by grendel (3.00 / 0) #5 Sun Nov 28, 2004 at 10:34:50 AM EST
G and B are cross compatible. I have used D-Link at work, and was way less than impressed, matter of fact I've hated all the products I've used of theirs... as bad as Actiontek. I dig Linksys's products, I've also had good experience with 3Com, but they don't have the price performance advantage.

I may upgrade to a cheap g wireless router by georgeha (3.00 / 0) #7 Sun Nov 28, 2004 at 10:41:32 AM EST
then. I want to surf from my couch without trailing cat5m dagnabit!

Happy belated by blixco (6.00 / 1) #2 Sun Nov 28, 2004 at 10:24:57 AM EST
birthday.

Thirty fucked me up.  Thirty was bad for me.  Very bad.

Glad it wasn't bad for you.

In re: reading, I've been literally plowing through everything that Dave Eggers has anything to do with.  The McSweeny's quartlerlys (which you would really like), the Best Nonrequired American Fiction, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, And You Shall Know Our Velocity!, and that latest one, a collection with a binding that is precisely like a moleskine notebook.

Aesthetically, the McSweeneys and the latest collection kick ass.  Check out their website http://www.mcsweeneys.net/
I've also just finished re-reading "Pattern Recognition," which is Gibsons non-cyberpunk novel.  Good stuff.

That and, let's see, "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey, an autobiography of an addict that nearly killed me.  The guy writes like I want to.  Hrm.  "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski, for deep creepy.  "Einsteins DReams"....I think that's what that was called.  Takes about an hour to read, but it's damn good.

Anyhow.  I need to get whiskey and make dinner, and not in that order.

Cheers!  Here's hoping the next 30 will find us somewhere in the same neighborhood, maybe Canada with the hippies nearby.
---------------------------------
Journeying through the world
To and fro, to and fro
Cultivating a small field.
-basho

Thanks man, by grendel (6.00 / 1) #6 Sun Nov 28, 2004 at 10:40:42 AM EST
I'll definitely check out the books you mentioned. Pattern Recognition is probably my favorite Gibson novel. Oh, I forgot to mention one thing, it is ass cold out and snowed all last night and most of the day. Roads are slick as hell and we have about 8" thus far, it is in a lull at the moment but more is expected... Yay. Colorado.

Snow bad. by bruno (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Nov 30, 2004 at 02:30:08 PM EST
Ugh, snow already...well, actually, I guess it is December tomorrow, isn't it?  Weather here, not so bad...can't be bothered by rain though, or this is not the place for you.  Happy Birthday, man!  I've said it once before, but hope you had a good one.  It sounds like a fun time to me.  Just a few months from now and it will be my turn.  Woo woo!

Ahh, thanksgiving.  We ended up making way too much damn food and it's currently rotting in the kitchen.  I think I've eaten as much of it as I can.  I need to send some pictures your way.  It was a fun and relaxing day, with, sadly, no bowling.

As far as what you should read, hmmm.  I dunno.  I just finished a non-fiction book called The Mole People about the thousands of people that live under New York City.  It was quite entertaining.  Reminded me of a lot of the people I would bump into on the streets of New Mexico...except they live underground...and they're even more insane.  I think I'd fit in a-ok.  Fun stuff.

Hey, someone that reads this, send me froopyloot's e-mail address.  I've been talking with an old friend that wants to contact him.  Or, if froopyloot himself reads this, send me your current e-mail address.  You'll enjoy hearing from this mystery person...I promise.

Well, I'm off to Sin City this weekend...just for friday, saturday and sunday.  I'm sure it will prove to be an evil trip.  It's a foul city and evil is an understatement.  But, I'm sure I'll manage to mask my disgust with drink.  But before I go, I must finish putting some evil touches on a package I will soon be sending your way, grendel.  Be afraid.

And, finally, Blixco, if you read this, did you ever receive Loveworkshop?  I missed it if you mentioned it already.  Let me know.......

Snow does suck. by grendel (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Dec 02, 2004 at 06:00:34 AM EST
All the residential streets are still icy. Bleh. I am putting together a package to send to you as well, but realistically, I'm going to be lazy and send it at x-mas, when I ship everything out.

Yes. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 06:20:37 AM EST
Received and welcomed.  I emailed you!  But I have had problems with my email account....though no problems with my gmail account.

I'll be mp3-izing them all soon, and posting them to blixco.net.

They're just as offensive and amazingly funny as I remember.
---------------------------------
Journeying through the world
To and fro, to and fro
Cultivating a small field.
-basho

Cool by bruno (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 01:04:58 PM EST
Yes, I always thought that Love Workshop should be available on the web for other people to discover.  It would be cool to see a big fan-base build up and force Vern and Craig to come back into the public eye...ha ha.  The FCC would be on them like fish on tartar sauce.

Hey, speaking of Usla, do you still chat with him?  I sent him a package to an old address that I had from years ago in Taos, but never heard from him.  I included my address and phone number, but no word.  I may have mailed it to some random bozo that lives where he used to live.  Who knows?  Well, if someone else got it, they are probably wondering what the hell is the deal with the stuff I sent.  Lots of random audio and video stuff...

I haven't heard from him by blixco (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Dec 08, 2004 at 05:02:15 AM EST
since he got his computer.  He called once when they received it (I had warned them not to buy one from my company) because it was problematic.  Unfortunately, I can't do anything about it.  Dunno if it pissed him off or what.

From what I gather, though, he's still in Taos.  I may have a phone number for him....I'll check and see, and email ya.
---------------------------------
Journeying through the world
To and fro, to and fro
Cultivating a small field.
-basho

Yeah... by bruno (2.00 / 0) #17 Sun Dec 12, 2004 at 01:01:00 PM EST
Let me know if you come across anything.  I'd like to check in on him...see how he's progressing...

Yes Dammit. by froopyloot (6.00 / 2) #8 Sun Nov 28, 2004 at 11:32:01 PM EST
Happy birthday.

Welcome to the old guy club!  Har har har.  I turn something like 62 in the next few weeks.  Har har har.
Love you brother.

Happy Birthday.

~m

Hey YOU by bruno (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 01:06:42 PM EST
Hey ~m, send me your e-mail address pronto.  I've got a very important person that wants to send you an e-mail.  He's an old face from the past and he's very gay.

Oh Wait... by bruno (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 01:08:59 PM EST
I think I just now figured out your e-mail address.  Took me a second, but I just noticed something that gave it away.  Sorry for being a dumbass.  Must be all that acid sitting in my spinal cord.

YES! by froopyloot (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Dec 07, 2004 at 11:44:41 PM EST
Looking forward to it!

Have you by bruno (2.00 / 0) #18 Sun Dec 12, 2004 at 01:03:31 PM EST
heard from the mystery person yet?  He wants to contact blixco too...haven't passed on his e-mail address yet...hee hee har har...

Why yes I have. by froopyloot (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Dec 13, 2004 at 04:31:37 AM EST
And damn Nice to hear from him as well.

Thanks for passing the messages around.

~m

Spreading the Love by bruno (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Dec 15, 2004 at 01:12:36 PM EST
Oh ~m, how I long for your silky mane.

Belated entry. | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback