Print Story Feature Request : Feature Request Section
HuSi
By whazat (Sun Jan 18, 2004 at 10:59:03 PM EST) (all tags)
I reckon all Feature Requests and all bug reports should be stored in their own stories so that there is a centralised place for them to be submitted and the arguments for and against them stored.

I figure you should be able to make scoop have a couple of stories (one for bugs another for requests) and keep them in their own place so that they don't scroll off the screen.

Inside for other random witterings

How easy is it to add new tables to the database? For example I was thinking about how you could get a reply to a comment to send you a mail/im/sms message.

The best method I could think of was create a list of functions, then create a new table with an index to a function and a message ID. Then you could do a select on that table for the ID to be replied to and the execute the function(s) that it returned.

Then all you would need to do would to be to add a UI bit to INSERT an eventHandler record when check box is ticked.

< Monkey don't see | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Feature Request : Feature Request Section | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden)
I have just noticed an oddity by whazat (3.00 / 0) #1 Sun Jan 18, 2004 at 11:11:10 PM EST
The hotlist box, under the stories section. The older Diaries link does not go anywhere useful that I can see, whereas stories picks up diaries.

The revolution will not be realised
Wow by hulver (5.00 / 1) #2 Sun Jan 18, 2004 at 11:14:55 PM EST
I've got absolutly no idea what you're talking about.

Do you mean an individual user could select functions that would be run when a comment is replied to?
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

It seems to me by gazbo (5.00 / 1) #3 Sun Jan 18, 2004 at 11:19:47 PM EST
That what he's asking could be solved by hooks or cron and boxes, depending on what's needed. Like the SMS example sounds like a 5-minutely cron to call a box that checks for all users with the "sms-replies" preference, then checks for new replies (not that I think the database server would like you very much for implementing it). Or, alternatively, use hooks to instantly SMS the poster of each parent comment.

But what do I know? I can't even install the fecker!

Sounds about right by whazat (3.00 / 0) #5 Sun Jan 18, 2004 at 11:27:21 PM EST
Can hooks be set on a per message basis? I was thinking that I might want to have instant replies on my requests for help, but not on bantering with Rogerborg.

The revolution will not be realised
I'm out of my depth here by gazbo (5.00 / 1) #6 Sun Jan 18, 2004 at 11:33:14 PM EST
But I'd imagine that once you've installed the sms hook, it will call that code with the new comment's cid. From your box you could use that to check whether the parent comment is flagged as "send-sms".

The user interface for flagging a comment/story/thread as being worth sending an SMS is left as an exercise to the reader.

Shouldn't we by whazat (3.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jan 19, 2004 at 12:26:57 AM EST
Implement an extensible and flexible object oriented solution. One that could enable admins to add per-element hooks in a number of different situations to improve there efficiency and enable synergy with their users, or summat.

The docs on hooks are lacking a bit and my scoop-fu is not sufficient to see how easy this would be.

As I said in my diary my instinct is to have the tags stored in a table (so you can have multiple tags per element) and retrieved by element ID.

The revolution will not be realised

Not really by whazat (3.00 / 0) #4 Sun Jan 18, 2004 at 11:24:40 PM EST
That was list of functions is more for the ease of extensibility so that you could implement it with email, and then extend it to IM or whatever else you wanted later. Lets say you have a checkbox on the post page that says "I want to be emailed when replied to".

When this is ticked scoop would generate the correct record (one with the correct function ID).

Then these records would be found when the post is replied to.

Hope I am a bit clearer this time.

The revolution will not be realised

rewrite scoop in ELisp by Bob Dog (3.00 / 0) #7 Sun Jan 18, 2004 at 11:44:08 PM EST
and add tons o hooks.

Feature Request : Feature Request Section | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden)