Print Story Attention Web Monkeys
Internet
By whazat (Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 02:42:55 AM EST) (all tags)
Your assistance is required. Not being overly familiar with PHP and ASP and the like I have a question. Are there any server side web based scripting langauges you can easily lock down to only allow a sub-set of actions.

See inside for what I am thinking of building.

There is a game called Second Life that allows the users to build bits of the world. There is a whole economy of how much you can build and things.

So what I thought could be build would be a website based on the same principles. And each user as well as being able to add HTML pages could add scripts that could do certain things (draw pictures, scrape  other sites etc). But it would need to be fairly locked down so you couldn't access files off the harddisk (only those in the object database). Also there would be an amount of user moderation so that users could delete other users objects (if they had enough mojo).

If I did this sort of site I would go for a husiesque feel and dole out mojo personally.

< I'm up to some kind of good somewhere. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Attention Web Monkeys | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)
Er, um, well by ad hoc (3.00 / 0) #1 Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 02:47:19 AM EST
it's a scripting language. If you don't script it, you can't do it.
Users scripting by whazat (3.00 / 0) #2 Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 03:09:48 AM EST
I don't want the users writing in unrestricted PHP to perform their image creation. Else they can see whatever files on the server the PHP app can see.

So I need a scripting language that has less power than PHP. However I don't want to have to write my own scripting engine. Although I may well need to.

The revolution will not be realised

OIC by ad hoc (3.00 / 0) #4 Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 03:33:30 AM EST
so you want to let people script for themselves?

In that case, it seems to me you'd just want to create a class library containing only the functions you want them to use.

The question is how to stop them by whazat (3.00 / 0) #5 Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 12:31:22 PM EST
importing other modules that I don't want.

The revolution will not be realised
Zope is what you want by ENOENT (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 03:15:59 AM EST
Unfortunately, my zope-fu is not strong enough to tell you why this is so.

Life is just one damned thing after another.
Love is just two damned things after each other.

Attention Web Monkeys | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)